1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for?

/ 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for? #1  

Lecoq

Tractor
Kubota BX2350, John Deere 3038e
Good afternoon all,

I'm currently watching a 1962 Farmall 140. The seller says that it as been completly redone. Also have new tires and new battery. My questions:

1-What would be an adequate price? He is asking 3000$.
2-What to look for on the tractor? (known issues, cracks, ...)

Thanks for any inputs.

Be safe,

Lecoq.

/ 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for? #2  
After giving the tractor a good once over, I would pay special attention to..... I would look to make sure the block hasn't any cracks. I would also check for any excessive play in the steering box. Check the brakes also.
Taken care of properly, these little Farmall's will last a long, long time. Good luck.

/ 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for? #3  
Good afternoon all,

I'm currently watching a 1962 Farmall 140. The seller says that it as been completly redone. Also have new tires and new battery. My questions:

Thanks for any inputs.

Be safe,

Lecoq.

Only thing to really look for is excessive play in the steering...if the wheel turns more than about 3" travel before the fronts start to turn, I'd say thats excessive...My '74 140 has NONE at all....now the price really depends on whether it has a 1pt FastHitch or not...if it does and the engine and hydraulics work good, its definitely worth the price...if it doesn't have the FH, probably no more that twenty-couple hundred...BobG in VA

/ 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for? #4  
3k$ seems a bit high for a 140, unless it is showroom minty...

/ 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for?
   / 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for? #6  
loose steering can be many things, sector ply in the steerinh box, worn tie rod and draglink ends, and even worn wheel bearings. for machines that have keyed sector/pittman arms to spindles, those COULD be loose as well.

/ 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for? #7  
We paid $3000 for our 140 with cultivators, hillers and a mid mounted sickle bar mower (the last one being kind of jerry-rigged) a couple of years ago and it wasn't in quite as good shape as that one appears to be in. The only problems we've had with ours were electrical, and had to put in a new generator. The battery was weak and it wasn't charging, now the battery is still week but it charges :laughing: Hope that helps

/ 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for? #8  
Hi,

Thanks for the answer...I should have post the link to the item even if the description is in french

Machineries commerciales/agricoles Tracteur Farmall Usagé à vendre ou à louer à Morin-Heights. LesPAC.com - annonces classées

I don't think, looking at the description, that the implements are available. Are they easy to find?

Dumb beginner question but could be the cause of loose steering?

Be safe

Lecoq

It has the 1pt FH, has an alternator (has been converted to 12V)...rear tires and rims by themselves may be worth $1k of it....1pt equipment is not that hard to find around here..in VA as this tractor and its fore fathers are the the best truck farm and tobacco tractors that exist. If its in as good a mechanical shape as it is "looks" buy it...BobG in VA

/ 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for? #9  
Looking at the pictures the tractor doesn't have the belly mount cultivators or fertilizer sidedress attachment. Your looking at $800-$1000 dollars for a full set of cultivators and $400.00-$500.00 for a fertilizer attachment with hopper . If you are going to use it to "plow" a garden, then I would be looking for one that already had the cultivators and fertilizer attachment.

I gave $2400.00 for my 1966 Farmall 140 with front and rear cultivators and fertilizer attachment. It's not a pretty as the one that you've listed, but it runs good and had those attachments and all the plows.

Here is a link to a 1961 Farmall 140 with sidedress and cultivators. 1961 INTERNATIONAL 140 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

1964 Model: 1964 INTERNATIONAL 140 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

Chris

/ 1962 Farmall 140 : What to look for? #10  
Good afternoon all,

Thanks for any inputs.

Be safe,

Lecoq.

Completely redone? Does this mean completely restored (rebuilt engine, new oil seals everywhere)?

A few years ago I paid $1300 for a Farmall Super A that has very good tires, a 3-point hitch, 6-ft rear blade and a mid-mount sicklebar mower.

DSCF0063 (Small).JPG

Your 140 is the next step up in size from my Super A.

$3K may be reasonable if the seller has done a lot more than just powerwash and repaint the tractor. Otherwise it sounds a bit high since there's no implements included in the deal.

Good luck.