Help Troubleshooting

/ Help Troubleshooting #1  

Lucid

Tractor
IH Farmall 200
Hello,

I have a 200 Farmall w/o PTO or Belt Drive.

It has been having issues lately and I am going down the list of things. A little background on the tractor. It was my Dad's for the last 15 years, and after he passed in August, I decided to keep it. It never had much problems before now. I didn't start it for 3-4 months and a few weeks ago it gave me heck getting it running. I cleaned the fuel strainer & screen. Checked all fluids, charged the batt, etc. Finally greased the dist./drive housing and it cranked!

Now it runs good for about 5 min then starts to run like its running out of gas. I have to choke it 1/3 way to get the engine to run smoother. There is sediment coming from the gas tank and collecting in the sediment bowl. I had to poke the valve opening to free it from debris. I just pulled the gas line again and cleaned everything as before. Started it and ran for 7 or so minutes then died.

Cannot get it cranked again. The cranking motor wont even turn over. Batt is charged and I can't figure out what is up. So before I yank the cranking motor, thought I would ask the forum for advice. I probably need to pull and rebuild the carb too.

(Not sure if related, but when I adjust the hydraulics, the engine runs rough like going to cut off.)

Any thoughts?
Thanks

/ Help Troubleshooting #2  
Clean fuel tank, gas lines and filter. Carburator should also be cleaned out and jets adjusted.

Check all the battery wiring. Cables for entire length for break or corrosion. Also make sure that both ends of the cable are making proper contact.

Check out wireing for ignition switch and switch operation. Same for starter button

Do load test on the battery.

If all that fails Pull starter check brushes, clean and grease so everything spins freely. Bench test and go from there.:)

/ Help Troubleshooting #3  
Hello,

I have a 200 Farmall w/o PTO or Belt Drive.
Cannot get it cranked again. The cranking motor wont even turn over. Batt is charged and I can't figure out what is up. So before I yank the cranking motor, thought I would ask the forum for advice. I probably need to pull and rebuild the carb too.
(Not sure if related, but when I adjust the hydraulics, the engine runs rough like going to cut off.)

Any thoughts?
Thanks

The "it won't crank" happens once in a while...what you need to do is take a 3/4" wrench (as well as I remember), loosen the 2 bolts holding the starter motor to the block...(you don't have to take it completely off...just loosen good)...now...no joke...shake the starter motor,, then bolt it back up...seems the bendix sometimes locks up on the flywheel...this will free it... let us know if it works...BobG in VA

/ Help Troubleshooting
Thanks for the help guys. I checked the connections and everything looked normal. I just tried shaking the starter and it fired right up. :) Finished up my work so now I don't have a yard ornament in the front.

I see tank liners online for fixing rusty tanks. Would that be good at stopping the rust, or should I just hose it out and swish around rust killer? Going to redo the carb and tank once I get the supplies.

Eric

/ Help Troubleshooting #5  
Tank liner may be a good thing.

don't forget to remove the starter and check it over as well as clean and lube it.:)

/ Help Troubleshooting
Egon- I will do that too. Starter & Generator the two things left to lube/check over good. Then an oil change. I appreciate the advice.

/ Help Troubleshooting #7  
I see tank liners online for fixing rusty tanks. Would that be good at stopping the rust, or should I just hose it out and swish around rust killer? Going to redo the carb and tank once I get the supplies.

Eric

Tank liner kits work very well, the people who have problems with them usually didn't follow all the directions.

Also, make sure the kit you purchase is compatable with ethanol. Some of the older kits weren't compatable and would flake off in the presence of E-gas.

Ken

/ Help Troubleshooting
Thanks Ken, good to know that. I see a bunch of the ones online don't mention ethanol compatible or not. Will email them!