Running Farmall Super C with bad hydraulics

/ Running Farmall Super C with bad hydraulics #1  

TommyJD790

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 790, Farmall Super C
If you've been following along, I am in the middle of rebuilding my Farmall Super C engine.
I'm looking ahead a little bit, but I have a feeling that the Hydraulics in the tractor is seized up also.

So, i'm wondering if when I start the engine, should I not attach the hydraulic pump and put a cover over the hole, or will it be OK to run the pump whether or not the hydraulics work.

Can I run the pump without the hydraulic tubes/hoses attached ?:scratchchin:

Maybe I just run the pump and hook everything up and see what happens.

I don't want to damage the pump, or put a strain on the engine.

Tommy-

/ Running Farmall Super C with bad hydraulics #2  
Why would you think the hyds are frozen up??/ Drain the hydraulic block, refill with 20w non-detergent oil...(that's what everyone used in them anyway)...once you get the tractor started, work the unit slowly, it won't take but a small amount of movement on the levers for the hyd pistons to start moving...once you have it going, let it run for a few minutes (the fluid will circulate as it runs no matter what), stop and re drain it and refill...you should be fine. As a side note, SCs are somewhat famous for letting hyd fluid into the crankcase if the O-rings don't hold in the hyd pump....hence the 20W motor oil. More later once you tell us what you find...BobG in VA

/ Running Farmall Super C with bad hydraulics #3  
And you're liable to take the front seal out of the pump, if you run it dry.

/ Running Farmall Super C with bad hydraulics #4  
One more thing on the hyd.....when you fill the hyd block, do not replace the fill plug, leave it off untill you try it..as the level will rise and fall as you move the levers. When you fill it make sure you leave about 1/2" between the bottom of the fill plug level and the actual level...no need to created any additional pressure on the unit before you have it right...BobG in VA

/ Running Farmall Super C with bad hydraulics
Great. Thanks for the recommendations.

Can't wait to try it out.

Tommy-

/ Running Farmall Super C with bad hydraulics #6  
ditto what's been said DO NOT run the hyds with no fluid.