Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

Default Re: Antique TRIP PLOW help

I don't think adjusting the coulters will make a difference on the plowing depth. To adjust the depth you will have to use the levers or in you case the cranks. This will adjust how far the moldboards are able to drop or raise.

Tractor
    1951 Farmall M

Yes Mike I agree with you, and was aware of that. When I installed the coulters it just seemed like it was not plowing as deep. I think I will crank the levers so the moldboards are at the deepest depth, and see if it will plow to my satisfaction, the next time I get a chance. If all is good then I will raise it a little.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans

General rule of thumb around here, plow half as deep as the width of the share. It will probably plow deeper than that, but may lose some of the action of the moldboard, as far as covering what you are trying to turn under.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

Quote Originally Posted by DJ54
    General rule of thumb around here, plow half as deep as the width of the share. It will probably plow deeper than that, but may lose some of the action of the moldboard, as far as covering what you are trying to turn under.
    You also need to go the right speed to get the soil to turn over properly. Anywhere between 3.5 to 6 mph is good. With plows like the one you have speed is not as important because they were made to be pulled at slower speeds compared to todays plows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12