Farmall Super C back from the grave

/ Farmall Super C back from the grave #1  

TommyJD790

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 790, Farmall Super C
Well it's been just over a month since I pulled the Super C out of the overgrown field, and found a completely seized engine.

Today the starter was delivered, so I gave it a whirl. After a few minutes of adjusting the distributor, and a little help from a shot of starter fluid and off she went. With a few minor adjustments she was purring like a kitten.:D:dance1::drink:

Just a couple things that I still need to tinker with.
1) The starter disengages just as the first cylinder fires. I hope there's an adjustment so it will stay engaged just a little longer.
It just about gets started and then disengages. Then I have to wait for it to wind down before I can try again.
2) Can't seem to get the PTO engaged. I pushed in the clutch and tried to put it in gear, but I just get a grinding noise. Not sure what to do with that yet.

The hydraulics work perfectly fine, and I was very surprised by that.

Thanks to all you guys that have given me advice over the past month. I really appreciate it.

I'll have to update my avatar now that I have a red one and a green one.:)

By the way, my 8 year old son who helped me with the rebuild and was very excited to get it running, got to drive it by himself, right after me. I don't know who enjoyed it more.

Tommy-

/ Farmall Super C back from the grave #2  
On my old 1948 Farmall Cub- I don't think anybody ever touched the hydraulics. When I got it everything worked. I didn't change the hydraulic fluid- just greased it and it always worked fine! Rugged. I used to snow plow with it and push gravel around, and run a sickle bar mower. Never a problem.
My starter would kick out quickly as well- wonder if it was a design feature to make it easy to crank by hand- a quick swipe
- frustrating waiting for that starter/flywheel to wind down!

/ Farmall Super C back from the grave #3  
Could still be a bit out of time, even though it fired right up. I usually set the timing mark on the flywheel, making sure it is on the compresion stroke. Take #1 plug out, and ground it out on something. Loosen the distributor, then turn on the ignition switch. Rotate the distributor, until it sparks, and you're dead nut on. Snug it down, and you're good to go.

Sounds like the clutch may be dragging a bit. Try putting the tranny in gear first, then engage the pto. With the tranny is gear, the gears will not be turning. May have to ease up on the clutch, to get the spline's to mate.

Glad to hear you got it going, and happy to hear your son got to help. Those are memories that will last a lifetime..., for both of you.

Just have to watch out now for the "fever"... It causes you to be looking at fence rows, and behind barns, etc. I've had it since I was 10 years old, and got my own first tractor at 13. A 1936 Farmall F-12. Still have it, and is a work in progress, that has been sidelined for some time. Hopefully will get back to it here in the next couple of years, and be one of the first projects in my new shop.

/ Farmall Super C back from the grave #4  
Congrats on saving the Super C from rusting away in the field.I hope you and your son have alot of good times with it.They are a simple tractor to work on and easy to maintain and just fun to drive.
Like DJ54 said watch out for the FEVER ,you will find that you will be looking out for others .
I have a 1941 McCormick Deering Farmall A that I have recently restored. Went to an auction a short time ago and somehow ended up with a 1947 Mccormick Deering W4 following me home.
The FEVER just seems to take over.

/ Farmall Super C back from the grave
I'm one of those guys that gets the fever easily. It drives my wife crazy.

I was actually in the middle of a Ford Model A restoration, when I got sidetracked by the farmall. Gotta get back to the Model A now.

Too many projects. I need to focus on 1 at a time. But..... I've always wanted to restore a Ford 8N. That's what my granfather had when I was a kid, and I have great memories of that little tractor.

This Farmall belonged to very close friend of mine who inheritted it when her father passed away. She didn't want to sell it to a stranger and never see it again because she has memories of her and her dad. I can't wait to have her over and let her drive it again.

Tommy-

A couple more things I think I need to adjust.

I replaced the battery with one just like it, which is 8.4 volts. It's positive grounded, just like the old one. When it's running, the ammeter is pointing to the left. My guess is that the regulator is set up to charge a 6v battery. Is there a way to adjust it, so it pumps out the proper amperage to charge an 8.4v battery...???

The carb seems to need a little work. It's a carter, and I took it apart to clean it, but didn't replace any parts. I think the float's sticking, because a few times gas leaks right out. I don't have the air cleaner on it right now, so I can watch the gas come out. But it's only once in a while. Rebuild or replace...??? Any recommendations...???

Still can't get the PTO in gear, but I don't have anything right now to run off it, so no biggy.

Tommy-

/ Farmall Super C back from the grave #7  
Regarding the running gas....when you get ready to shut it off, turn off the gas at the tank, let it run itself dry...I have a '53 that would drip after you shut if off...I just started turning off the gas...now it doesn't drip any more (I think it cleaned itself over time) but I still run it out and turn it off. BobG in VA

/ Farmall Super C back from the grave #8  
there is a dark art to make a reg charge a bit higher... but the machine really should get back to 6v if it is battery ignition.. easier on the coil and points.

the starter kickup usually means that she coughs on 1 and that kicks a non followthru starter out.. some machines have the option for a followthru drive.. otherwise.. a tune up may simply solve it.

what's rear end lube look like?

I should have done my homework before I bought the 8.4v battery. The only reason I have it is because it's the same as the one that was in it.
I think you're right Soundguy. I should just put a 6v battery in, and the electrical problem is probably solved. Yesterday the battery got drained down to the point that it wouldn't kick in the starter.

Tommy-

/ Farmall Super C back from the grave #10  
an 8v battery on a 6v charger yeilds a discharged 8v battery.. :(