Farmall A wont turn over...

/ Farmall A wont turn over... #1  

mike67

Tractor
1953 farmall A
tractors been converted to 12 volt system.starters been checked out.new voltage regulator.still got nothing when starter switch is engaged.all connections have been clean.tested from battery to starter and juice is getting there.what else could it be??? would greatly appreciate any advice...thanks

/ Farmall A wont turn over... #2  
If you are getting absolutely nothing when you hit the starter, (assuming everything else is working correctly), I'm pretty sure your starter gear is locked to the ring gear...simple fix: Take a 3/4 inch wrench (if I remember correctly), loosen the 2 starter bolts....you don't have to take them out, just loosen them about 1/2 inch each...now comes the really technical part....shake the starter up and down...now re-tighten the bolts and give it a try...I know this sounds dumb, but if its what I think it is, it will work...let us know the outcome. BobG in VA

/ Farmall A wont turn over... #3  
Check that you have a good ground,and that you have positive and negtive around the right way.

/ Farmall A wont turn over... #4  
I'm assuming you still have the pull rod that goes to the starter, I would make sure your getting contact between the starter switch that is mounted on the starter and the terminal on the starter, it might not be pulling far enough or the contacts might be burnt. This is the switch I'm talking about

Attachments

• image-4294560126.jpg
    image-4294560126.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 760
   / Farmall A wont turn over... #5  
   / Farmall A wont turn over... #6  
If you replaced the starter switch like the one that Varmint1 is showing, that could be the problem.
I replaced the one on my SuperC just because it was a cheap part and looked shiny. Bought it at Tractor Supply.
I'm sure it's made in China, because it was garbage. I put the old switch back on, and that fixed it.

Tommy-

/ Farmall A wont turn over...
thanks to all for advice! but,unfortunately,still nothing..last bit of life it had, i depressed the push rod to starter and nothing!did notice bit of smoke from ground on tractor frame.ran good right up til then.....

/ Farmall A wont turn over... #8  
smoke means heat.. heat means bad connection.

/ Farmall A wont turn over... #9  
Soundguy has your answer. Take the connection apart where you saw the smoke, clean it up real good with sandpaper, so there isn,t any paint of any kind on the frame or connector, and when it is all shiny and clean, tighten your connection up snug. Let us know how you make out.

/ Farmall A wont turn over... #10  
Soundguy has your answer. Take the connection apart where you saw the smoke, clean it up real good with sandpaper, so there isn,t any paint of any kind on the frame or connector, and when it is all shiny and clean, tighten your connection up snug. Let us know how you make out.

Also check the lead is not broken or loose at the connector on the ground. This would cause smoke too.