Farmall Cub

/ Farmall Cub #1  

niveketak

Tractor
John Deere
A friend is considering replacing his Farmall Cub of about 1955 vintage as the engine has lost compression, it starts but has no power anymore. Anyone know whos petrol engine is fitted and what engine spares availability is like as it may be available for free.

If this is a silly question forgive me I am new to the tractor scene although I have been a mechanic and tinkerer for 40 years.

Kevin

/ Farmall Cub #2  
Engine will be built by International Harvester Company. It will be a C60 .These are a 59.5 cubic inch four cylinder engine.This is a sleeveless engine.
The Cub was built from 1947 and continued until 1979 in one form or another,so parts are not too hard to find.
Steiner tractor parts or OEM tractor parts have lots of parts avaliable for the Farmall Cubs. Some parts are still avaliable through Case IH dealers.
Below is a 1950 Farmall Cub.
Hope this is of some help.

Attachments

• 015 (Small).JPG
    015 (Small).JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 4,533
   / Farmall Cub #3  
I would have to consider a rebore kit. They can be overbored up to .060, but generally what ever it takes to clean up the cylinders. Free + a rebore kit, is a good price for a tractor..!!

/ Farmall Cub #4  
if it is not too worn might get by with a set of OS rings and knurled piston skirts.. or as said.. might need to be bored and sleeved.

/ Farmall Cub
Thanks for the information, it's only a maybe at the moment. Funny thing is, it seemed OK not so long ago started without difficulty and seemed to pull a large laden trailer OK but he is adamant the engine has died and is therfore trying to convince his wife they need to spend some money and buy another tractor to replace it. They are both 76 years old and he still cuts 10 tons of wood each year, hand loads it onto the trailer and then stacks it. Mekse me feel exhausted thinking about it.

Kevin

/ Farmall Cub #6  
migth be a simple maint issue.. like lean carb.. or blocked air cleaner pipe