Tire Replacement

/ Tire Replacement #1  

TommyJD790

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 790, Farmall Super C
The rear tire on my Farmall Super C blew out this weekend.:(

I'm not surprised. The sidewall of the tire had been peeled back in one area by the prior owner and the canvas was showing.
Now I can reach my hand right in through the sidewall. Definitely not repairable.

The tire is a 10-36 (10X36).
It looks like replacing this tire is going be very expensive, and probably not something I can do without special tools.

Any recommendations ??

Tommy-

/ Tire Replacement #2  
I like the Carisle farm specalist ha tires. Good price and good quality. Them tires are not hard to change. You will need a set of tire spoons and maybe a hammer. Breaking the bead on the tire us the hardest part after that use the spoons and walk it off the rim. Use a similar stratagy to put the new tire in. The first bead shouldd slide right on the rin. Before putting a tube in inflate it slightly snd place inside the tire. Then using the spoons walk the lasy bead on. If you have any old farmer friends one of them should know how and can show you how or bring it to a dealer. The hardest part is the weight of the tire and rim.

/ Tire Replacement #3  
ditto.. set of spoons.. new tube.. new tire.. some dish soap.

things like a valve stem fishing toll will be nice but you can change them without them too.

I do my own tractor tires.

if you can't break the beed.. beat on it with a sledge.. or drive a vehicle over the bead.

once old tire is dismounted.. clean up the rim remove all rust.. wire wheel.. repair as needed.. then prime and paint with a good rust control paint. Ilike epoxy paints for this.. very tough.

when remounting.. tire soap/grease or dish soap can be used to seat the bead easier.. no petrol grease

it's a good still to learn

ps.. don't pinch the tube.. Ilay em in and inflate them a bit.. keeps them outta the way of the spoon...

/ Tire Replacement #4  
Too add some more to the previous statement about bead breaking. You can also use the cutting edge on the bucket to break the bead. If you get it slid down far enough you can take a chisel (not one for wood but one used on metal) or any bar you can hammer on with a flattened out end, hit along the beat almost against the rim and work your way around to break if free. A little dish soap goes a long way.