Farmall A spark problem

/ Farmall A spark problem #11  
The points look fine.
Not sure how to troubleshoot on this positive ground system, very confusing:)
The swich only has one wire on it, so i guess the swich only conects the wire to ground when activating?
When measuring between the "in" wire on the ignition housing and the ignition housing itself. Is there suppose to be conection all the time? Isn't the conection point supposed to be isolatet from the housing? I'm thinking I could have leakage to ground somewhere.

positive ground only means the positive post of the battery is tied to chassis. otherwise.. the electrics work the same... forget the positive ground thing.

as far as the points looking good thus they must be good?

I wish I had that kind of super vision.

use an ohm meter or test lamp to check them.. then jumper out the key switch and hot wire the coil.

see what it gets you...

with a test lamp inline, and running it over.. it should blink. if it stays on.. you have a short.. perhaps at condensor.. perhaps at feed thru insulator in side of dizzy.. if lamp never comes on. you are not making good contact.

/ Farmall A spark problem #12  
Here is an exploded view of your Mag. You may want to pull the coil cap off, # 14 I believe, and check for moisture and corrosion under that cap.

Also may want to check the condensor. I have a couple, apparently originals that have a brass shell. They get a green corrosion on them. Clean with some steel wool, or something similar, and they still work fine..!!

Being under plastic for several years causes a lot of condensation in the worst places.

H4 Mag.gif

/ Farmall A spark problem #13  
just to b clear.. maggie or bat ignition?

/ Farmall A spark problem #14  
   / Farmall A spark problem
Note sure how to post picture.
The wire from coil has a full conection to ground all the time, even when points are open.
Does this mean the coil is toast?

I found that the conection screw that conects the coilwire,wire from ponts and condensator had a to big washer on the inside, so the washer was bearly sometimes touching the housing. After swapping to a smaller washer, the spark is now constant. I thought the spark was to small, but after comparing to my other farmall's, it is the same :)
But it won't start. Took the carburator apart and cleaned it, but still its bearly popping.
Checked the compression and found that i had 6 bars in 3 of the sylinders, but only 4 bars in one.
What is the normal here?
I'm thinking maybe the rings is stuck in one of the cylinders, will try to poor some oil into the cylinders and wait a few days.

/ Farmall A spark problem #17  
put in some atf and let it set..

How do I find what kind of engine I have in my tractor?
I think C-113, byt not sure.
The tractor is a -46. Tryin' to find what kind of compression I am suppose to have.

/ Farmall A spark problem #19  
what do you have now? many engines in that size range spec 90-130 psi

/ Farmall A spark problem #20  
Look on the right hand side behind the mag/ dis and you'll see some casting numbers. Post the numbers and we can find out for you, most likely you have the 113 engine the 123 came out later and most of them had water pumps