Farmall A spark problem

/ Farmall A spark problem #21  
How do I find what kind of engine I have in my tractor?
I think C-113, byt not sure.
The tractor is a -46. Tryin' to find what kind of compression I am suppose to have.

It's a 113 CI...its also thermo syphon cooled, make sure you have good coolant and the radiator isn't clogged...while you have the atf in the cyl.. you can flush the system, refill up to about 1 1/2" from the top of the radiator, if you fill it full, it will just blow that much out anyway...BobG in VA

/ Farmall A spark problem #22  
ps on thermo syphon.. just mix coolant % for anticipated freeze. most TS don't work good at mixes past 30/70 and work great around 50/50 if you can get away with it climate wise.

pre mix it to.. it won't mix easily in a ts system

/ Farmall A spark problem #23  
Compression ratio on that engine is 6:1.

/ Farmall A spark problem
Ok, thanx for all the info:thumbsup:
I had aprox 90 psi in 3 of the cylinders, and about 60 in one of them. (cyl 2)

/ Farmall A spark problem #25  
90/60

? dry or wet or?

without doing both.. a comp test is nearly worthless...

I did a dry test. Did not think about the wet :ashamed:
Will do asap

I did a dry test. Did not think about the wet :ashamed:
Will do asap

I did a wet test,and the compression went up to aprox 100psi on each cylinder.

But one more thing.. I have raised this question before, but I don't see any answers to it.
When measuring between the coilwire and ground I get a full conection. I guess this is suppose to be this way, as I did the same test on a different Farmall I have, with the same result. But I do not understand why? Is not this wire suppose to be isolated from ground, and conect to ground each time the points are touching?

/ Farmall A spark problem #28  
look this pic over.

primary will pe common to chssis if points are closed.

if using metal core wire and measuring from the end of the escondary, when points are closed, it will be common too.

notice the schemetic of an automotive ignition coil... everything is common...

soundguy

Finally solved the problem, and the tractor is running like a dream:laughing:
It was a combination of several things.
After changing back to the old plug wires, tha spark looked much stronger. Must have been something wrong with the brand new ones.
After this I moved the fireing order to 4-2-1-3, just as a test, and the tractor fired right up :)
I guess the magneto has been placed with a 180 degree misplacement somewhere back in time.
I also tried this last week, with no result, so that must have been the wires holding back.

/ Farmall A spark problem #30  
You have it fixed Never mind my 2cents.