Tractor
    New Holland t5040 Kubota L275JD 4110, 110. , 325, GT 225, 214, 112

Default Farmall A w/ vacuum lift

Anybody know how to lift the sicklebar on a Farmall A w/ a vacuum lift? The mower mounts on the back. There is a small lever, that when pulled forward, will lift the mower. The lever is about 8 inches long with a hole in it. I have seen these on Super A's, but they connect to the rockshaft. This tractor has no rockshafts. Thanks. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

Default Re: Farmall A w/ vacuum lift

You might want to try over at yesterdaystractors.com. They have a great Farmall section on their board.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd shuttle/Massey 1085

Sure do. I had a 1941 Farmall A that I sold to a guy who had it restored. He put hydraulics on it, however.

I stlll have the vacuum cylinder, the single bottom plow and the rockshaft in the barn.

The way it works is:

When you pull on the lever, there is a linkage that connects to a device that mounts on the top of the exhaust/intake manifold. Essentially, it is a valve that has a metal flap in it. When you push the lever forward, it closes the flap and sends the exhaust gas into the hose that connects to the cylinder. That causes the cylinder to retract, lifting the implement by means of the rockshaft. When you pull the lever, it opens the flap allowing the gas to escape, lowering the implement. The cylinder is porcelain lined and has a large leather seal inside it. When the lever is in the neutral position, a check valve keeps the gas in the cylinder, "floating" the implement. The hose on my Farmall was nothing more than a black rubber hose with fittings on the ends that were just like the fittings on your garden hose. It worked pretty good. In fact, the single bottom plow is pretty heavy and it lifted it no problem.

Tractor
    New Holland t5040 Kubota L275JD 4110, 110. , 325, GT 225, 214, 112

Thanks. I have another question: How do you hook the lift up to the mower?

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd shuttle/Massey 1085

IHCRules:

Ooooohhh!, thats a hard question to answer. I had an L-59 woods belly mower on my "A" that had a ratcheting hand lever that mounted right in front of your face. I never hooked it up to the rockshaft, but I suppose you could with a little country ingenuity.