52 Super C Oil Pressure

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #11  
And to answer another question, the cam bearings are what you get your oil pressure reading from.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #12  
i'd at least check it with a gauge with numbers.. and know where you are at.

when bearings was mentioned..t hey meant mains and rods.. many times cam losses are gonna require custom machining for inserts if the cam runs in the parent bore.. old fords are that way.. etc..

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #13  
I bought replacement gauges from OEM tractor parts for my Farmall A .The have a website and have reproduction gauges that match or very closely resemble the originals and are made by rochester just like the originals.The originals had a part number on the face of the gauge and the manufacturers name around the outer edge of the face.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure
I replaced the oil gauge with one I got at the local dealership. I also changed oil and filter...used the low ash SAE 30. The old gague had trash in the inlet. The new gauge is very sensitive. For the first start of the day the pressure shows about half full scale, so thats ~35 psi @ idle. Once it gets warmed up (~180 deg F), the pressure rolls off to just above the red zone @ idle. At half throttle (warm), it will run ~20-25 psi.

Guess I'll just run it for a while and keep an eye on it.

My only problem now is that the engine stumbles somtimes under load and at idle. If I run the plows too deep, it will start missing...which seems like a carburetor issue. Mine has the Zenith. I see only one adjustment on the front of it. I know I have good fuel. My in-line fuel filter is clean. My aircleaner has the correct amount of oil and no dirt. Any ideas on this?

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #15  
on a ford I'd call that lean..

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure
My 7.5 foot disc is too big for the SC, but it being all I have, I gave it a try yesterday since it was the first day dry enough to work the ground this year. The ground had been turned last fall and was still a bit rough. I was better off pulling in first gear for the first pass and then pulling in second gear for the second pass. The second pass really smoothed the ground nicely. I was able to verify that my new "touch control" gauge worked great. I'd say the disc was fairly taxing of the hydraulics, but they held up. The gauge never got close to the hot line. I guess I ran the tractor about an hour at 85% throttle which heated things up nicely. Temp gauge ran ~190-195 degrees F. My oil pressure was a different story. At 85% throttle, it ran right on the edge of the "red zone." Guess I'll pull the oil pan this week and check the oil pickup.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #17  
Can you put a known pressure guage on the SC to double check your oil pressure? If the engine is making 8psi once its hot, you are probably OK...I use 15-40 Delo or Rotella in all my Farmalls..it does make a difference...BobG in VA

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #18  
anyone know what the book value is on the sc?

i know my case vac makes low double digits.. like between 10-20 and that is 100% book value.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #19  
50-60 psi on the SC, on the newer C-123's ie: 140's, 240's etc, it's 45-50psi. That is assuming that it has the proper weight/grade oil in for the season. Above +32º SAE 30W, and below+32º SAE 10W. If you're running a 10W/30, it's bound to show a lower psi, if it's a warmer air temp.

You can put a pressure gauge on and see what it is producing, or not sure when your next oil change will be, but switch to a straight SAE 30W. I've found SAE 30W Rotella at out local TSC. Wally world doesn't carry it for some reason. Volume sales I guess. Personally, I use 15/40 year 'round. Everyone has their preferences. But no problems in using it in 20 years or so...

Here's a lube chart for you, and the other guy's to print off, that have C's, Super C's, 200's and 230's. At least it's a quick reference to oil weight's, amounts, and service intervals.

IH Super C Lube Chart.jpg

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #20  
Oops..., just saw where you were using the low ash SAE 30. My bad.... :eek: