52 Super C Oil Pressure

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #21  
that reminds me of my C. when I bought her I took my test gauge with me.. I rummaged around and found the pic. I had to hand crank her the first couple times.. and this was at idle with old oil.

a52107.jpg

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #22  
It could be a number of things. Most likely just an engine with a lot of hrs. on it. I wouldn't worry about numbers. 20 lbs 35 lbs. Like you have seen some of the guages don't even bother with numbers.
I have a number of old farmalls and most of them have more oil pressure when first started than when hot . At Idle on a hot high mileage engine yes the pressure is close to zero. It don't take much to do the trick. One thing you can do is look under the valve cover on a hot engine and see if you see the rocker arms getting oil. If they are then it is ok. If dry then you are hurting then engine.
most of my tractors have this problem. If I was farming hard and plowing hard I would rebuild sooner.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #23  
yep.. as low as 6 psi per 1000 rpm is enough.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure
Well after all this time and that SC sitting in the barn, I got motivated after seeing Canadian Redneck on YT. I dropped the pan, removed the oil pump, and there it was...the gremlin. The oil pump aluminum end cap had blown through the 0.001 thick gasket. I put the 180 grit sand paper on a thick piece of glass and wet sanded the end cap flat as I could using some Miracle oil for air tools. Even though I'd purchased several gaskets from Steiner, I only needed one. With pump reinstalled and 5qts 30 SAE earl, she holds solid white-range pressure no matter the OAT or RPMs.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #25  
Well after all this time and that SC sitting in the barn, I got motivated after seeing Canadian Redneck on YT. I dropped the pan, removed the oil pump, and there it was...the gremlin. The oil pump aluminum end cap had blown through the 0.001 thick gasket. I put the 180 grit sand paper on a thick piece of glass and wet sanded the end cap flat as I could using some Miracle oil for air tools. Even though I'd purchased several gaskets from Steiner, I only needed one. With pump reinstalled and 5qts 30 SAE earl, she holds solid white-range pressure no matter the OAT or RPMs.
I may be doing that shortly here, to my Farmall 130 I bought 2 years ago. It carries great oil pressure, when just ginning around. I plowed the garden with it, about 5 weeks ago. Never really paid attention to the oil pressure, until on the way to the barn to put it away. The touch control arm on the right side actually covers the view of the gauge, unless you lean out a bit to see it. I pulled the dipstick when I shut it down, and was right on the full mark. After letting it set overnight, and cool down, fired it back up and gauge showed normal pressure.

I too watched that video here a week or so ago. I need to get a gasket ordered, and do that job myself. Only thing different, I'll be using the cast iron top on my trusty old table saw. I've done the same procedure to true up cylinder heads on small Tecumseh engines. Works great..!!

@DJ54 It sure is good to hear from you. Glad you’re still getting dirt on the plows. A young fella down the road here wanted to try making a sorghum crop this year so I planted a small field…why I’ve needed that old SC. I‘ve skint a knuckle or three on getting my cultivators back on and adjusted for 30” rows but sure has been fun. The sorghum is knee high and not damaged after cultivating. The old SC is just excellent for this type work.

Last edited:
   / 52 Super C Oil Pressure #27  
Yep, still plugging away at it here. I have a buddy 60 miles South of here that he and his family normally put out about an acre of sorghum every year, but heard no mention of it this year. Weather hasn't been the best to get anything planted this year. Still some guys trying to get some beans in. What did get put in, was lost to water standing in fields in low spots. Some to hail damage too. The 4th line of severe T-storms passed through NE Ohio yesterday afternoon. Saw reports of ping pong ball sized hail, up to baseball sized hail in areas to the NE of here. I'd imagine that did quite a bit of crop damage.

Our tractor club has yet to get corn, pumpkins, and Sunflowers planted at the County historical park yet. Guy's been working to get their own crops in, plus make hay between rains. We did get 300 lbs. of potatoes planted back in April. We used my little 140, and Champion potato planter I have, that a PO converted to Fast Hitch. Sad to say we lost 75%+ of them due to seed rotting from too much rain, and water laying. They came up great on the higher ground, but just the way they finish graded next to the field for a playground for kids, doesn't allow it to drain very well. Usually, we don't get these kind of rains, and they make it up high enough, a little laying water doesn't hurt them. When we dig them, we let folks come in and pick them up for home use. The rest are picked up and given to a local food bank. Going to be a little shy this year.

Those Super C's are great tractors. Still have both of mine, and they do the majority of every day chores around here, from making hay, to spreading manure. And with the price of gas, easy on fuel consumption.

I'm attaching a video of us planting potatoes, at our County's Smeck Family Farm Park, where they let us play with our tractors putting in various crops, and harvesting them, to show folks how it's done, and where their food comes from. Pretty neat little outfit. A couple of the guy's walking along side, to make sure it's dropping them properly. Took about 1-1/2 hours to plant 300 lbs. but took a break waiting for more potatoes to be cut.

@DJ54 thanks for posting. That is an excellent setup you have. My hat is off to you gentlemen for doing that for your local people. That is honorable work. I hope ya’ll keep it going. Yes sir, it is a constant fight with Mother Nature, every sort of vermin, varmit, and pest, fuel prices, fertilizer prices…but I love every minute of it!

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #29  
@DJ54 thanks for posting. That is an excellent setup you have. My hat is off to you gentlemen for doing that for your local people. That is honorable work. I hope ya’ll keep it going. Yes sir, it is a constant fight with Mother Nature, every sort of vermin, varmit, and pest, fuel prices, fertilizer prices…but I love every minute of it!
I hear ya'..!!