52 Super C Oil Pressure

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #1  

TNSuperC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmall Super C, Ford 3600
I think the gauge is the original. I notice that when I first crank the tractor, it takes the gauge about 10 seconds before it moves from the peg. Then, it will rise to about the middle of the "O" in "OIL." If I run the tractor for an hour or so, plowing, discing, and the like, the pressure will tend to fall just about to the edge of the "white band" while @ operating speed and maybe slightly into the red at idle. Is this normal?

The tractor does not smoke noticeably at all. It seems to have good power...will pull my Ford 2-12" plow easily. I don't hear any noises in the engine but then it is fairly loud since I have a straight pipe with no muffler.

Could my oil pick up (in the pan) be clogged or bent? I've never had the oil pan off this tractor.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #2  
It could be just the old gauge, replace it with a new one. When has the oil been changed last? Has anything hit and bent the oil pan causing damage to the pickup tube? It could be just worn bearings

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #3  
i never trust an old gauge without verifying it on a test gauge I keep in my tool box on a greas gun hose whip.

too easy to test and not guess.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure
It could be just the old gauge, replace it with a new one. When has the oil been changed last? Has anything hit and bent the oil pan causing damage to the pickup tube? It could be just worn bearings

I've never changed the oil...but then the tractor has only been in a few shows the last couple of years since I've owned it. The pan is not in perfect condition; meaning it is dented somewhat. I'm no expert on this tractor, which bearings do you mean?

i never trust an old gauge without verifying it on a test gauge I keep in my tool box on a greas gun hose whip.

too easy to test and not guess.

Thanks for the tip. Do you know what an acceptable pressure is @ idle and say half throttle? I plan to replace the oil gauge with a new one that matches the original which doesn't have numbers on it. It has a red band from 0 to 1/4 full scale and then a white band from 1/4 full scale to full scale.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #6  
Good Mornin TNSuperC,
I have a 49 Super A and my pressure is usually in about the middle of the gage while running unless its very hot and then it drops off a bit more.

Soundguy gave you good advice, take that gage off and check with a new or reliable gage. If the good gage reads low I would suggest taking the oil pan off and checking your pickup.

Let us know how you make out !

OK, will replace. Could someone tell me the correct gauge for this tractor. I've looked at several and am not sure of the correct part #. Now I don't think the gauge that is on it is the correct one based on antiquetractorsrus.com. Looks like the Super C had either the 362177-R92 (0-45lb) or 364665R91 (0-75lb) gauge.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #8  
Change the oil with a heavier weight, these older tractors sometimes run 3W-30 and such but sometimes they lose pressure. Try a straight 40 weight oil, or a 15W50 in the heat.

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #9  
OK, will replace. Could someone tell me the correct gauge for this tractor. I've looked at several and am not sure of the correct part #. Now I don't think the gauge that is on it is the correct one based on antiquetractorsrus.com. Looks like the Super C had either the 362177-R92 (0-45lb) or 364665R91 (0-75lb) gauge.

Good Evenin TNSuperC,
I believe its the 0-45 lb gage but I dont know for sure. I deal with Columbia Tractor in Claverack,Ny tractor and they have supplied numerous parts for me. I own two old Farmalls, and they have been great, getting me the right parts, whether for tractor or implements !

I would try your local Case IH dealer, and you could also ask on Farmall & IHC Tractors Discussion Board those guys atr great !

/ 52 Super C Oil Pressure #10  
According to the Case/IH parts page, 364665R91 is the correct gauge, but N/A through them. It has been replaced by 536962R2. $27.92 at any Case/IH dealer. There are correct aftermarket ones out there for $32.00+