C-123 Engine

/ C-123 Engine #21  
I don't care what Rick did, I said that once you reach a certain level of torque/HP on these units you are in for other issues....That's all I'll say...and you can call it a sermon if you like..

both you guys are having reading comprehension probs.

I didn't say YOU were preaching a sermon. I said that rick wasn't preaching a sermon.

oh well.. govt school probably... ;(

/ C-123 Engine #22  
Rick...If you hang around C's, SC's, 200s, 230s, etc. long enough you will ultimately find out what the weak link in these units are...once you hit a certain horsepower/torque level you very well may find out the hard way....Oh yeah, "You get to figure the rest out on your own."....If you'd like to know you may ask politely....Not a sermon, just a thought. BobG in VA

You shouldn't make assumptions about other's experiences. Kind of a moot point anyways, as I sold the tractor 10 years ago and the crankshaft is still in one piece.

/ C-123 Engine #23  
Pointless adding hp to these tractors anyway. They already have more torque/hp than they can get to the ground without spinning out anyway. That said when I rebuilt my c123 I used thinner sleeves and domed pistons, it was the same price so I figured what they heck. before rebuild it spun out without stalling, after rebuild it spins out without stalling. Most noticeable effect is I can can get to the top of the big hill next to my parents farm in 4th now, never did that even when new :)

/ C-123 Engine #24  
Pointless adding hp to these tractors anyway. They already have more torque/hp than they can get to the ground without spinning out anyway. That said when I rebuilt my c123 I used thinner sleeves and domed pistons, it was the same price so I figured what they heck. before rebuild it spun out without stalling, after rebuild it spins out without stalling. Most noticeable effect is I can can get to the top of the big hill next to my parents farm in 4th now, never did that even when new :)

your observations about getting the hp tot he ground are not takin ginto account split loads. IE.. pto. With a few extra ponies available.. you can max out your drawbar AND still be putting out belt hp for other things.

/ C-123 Engine #25  
That's interesting about the C-135 cam..........
Where did you find the lift/duration specs on the cams..?? Are they in the Blue Ribbon engine spec manual..?? I have a BR engine manual that covers several engines, but it's at the other farm.

I'm guessing just a longer duration..?? I just happen to have a C-135 cam and gear, and a spare C-123 waiting on an engine stand to be OH'd for an A, as a play toy for plowing days.

There are two camshafts for the C-135 engine.

Engine serial number 100,500 & below went into model 330 & 340 tractors and had a cam lobe lift of .240 inches.(same specs as a C-123 cam)

Engine serial number 100,500 & above went into model 404 tractors and had a cam lobe lift of .274 inches. Duration specs are the same as the C-123 engines..
Serial 100,500 and above also had high dome firecrater OEM pistons and a 14 bolt bolt head. (see piston image below).

C135--PISTONS SIDE BY SIDE.jpg
375800R1.jpg

Last edited:
   / C-123 Engine #26  
There are two camshafts for the C-135 engine.

Engine serial number 100,500 & below went into model 330 & 340 tractors and had a cam lobe lift of .240 inches.(same specs as a C-123 cam)

Engine serial number 100,500 & above went into model 404 tractors and had a cam lobe lift of .274 inches. Duration specs are the same as the C-123 engines..
Serial 100,500 and above also had high dome firecrater OEM pistons and a 14 bolt bolt head. (see piston image below).

353609R31 is the only C-135 cam available today. I don't recall which one I bought back in the day, but I'll wager it was the later one and the same one that is avaialble now.

/ C-123 Engine #27  
353609R31 is the only C-135 cam available today. I don't recall which one I bought back in the day, but I'll wager it was the later one and the same one that is avaialble now.

Thanks,
I submitted the information so that anyone considering purchasing a used C-135 camshaft would be aware that the higher lift camshaft came subsequent to serial number 100.500.

/ C-123 Engine #28  
Thanks..!! That's what confused me looking through the online Case/IH parts book, just showing the one cam used in many...

The cam i have is out of a 135 used on a combine. A buddy of mine scrapped it out about 15 years ago. He passed away, and his Dad told me to come get the engine parts. Block was cracked, so it went for scrap.