1953 Farmall Super M

/ 1953 Farmall Super M #1  

wynnsong

Tractor
New Holland TN60A, Farmall Super M
I am restoring a 53 super M and have a question about the belt pulley (not the gear box) on the right side of the tractor. I cleaned the pulley with Simple Green and got the gunk off and parts of the pulley face are clean and look dry, but the other parts seem to be impregnated with some type of dressing that I suppose protects the pulley face. Does anyone know what type of dressing is recommended? Thanks.

/ 1953 Farmall Super M #2  
I have heard of using shoe polish. The best is to get a belt with fresh dressing on it and get it loaded up. The heat will help get the dressing into the paper on the pulley. Yes the pulleys are paper not wood that they look like.

/ 1953 Farmall Super M
Thanks. I actually smelled the pulley and the darker areas smell like burnt motor oil. You are probably right. It will take heat and pressure to load the pulley again.

/ 1953 Farmall Super M #4  
What's on there is probably an old resin based dressing from the belt. For protecting the pulley, I guess a lot depends on if you plan on belting it up, whether for your own use, or at a show.

Bee's wax, or a bit of Neatsfoot oil for leather should protect it. Although the neatsfoot may make it a bit slippery if your going to belt it up to something. Shouldn't take much...

/ 1953 Farmall Super M #5  
I know there is still a partial stick out in the shop, from when we ran the hammermill years ago. I doubt the paper label on the outside is ledgable, but I'll look sometime.

/ 1953 Farmall Super M #6  
It just dawned on me that I remember Dad pouring molasses on the belt one time, because the belt was slipping on the old F-14's steel pulley. Po' people have po' ways... :)

/ 1953 Farmall Super M #7  
I was pleased to see that someone, other than me called it 'burnt oil' instead of used oil or burned oil, then I saw your location and found that we're practically neighbors. Maybe it's a South Carolina term.
Thanks. I actually smelled the pulley and the darker areas smell like burnt motor oil. You are probably right. It will take heat and pressure to load the pulley again.

Last edited:
   / 1953 Farmall Super M
Different question on the Super M...I have been told that the seat spring comes in 3 different stiffness's. One for light weight, one for medium and one for heavy weight guys. Any truth to this?

/ 1953 Farmall Super M #9  
yep.. beeswax stick dressing was / is common

What's on there is probably an old resin based dressing from the belt. For protecting the pulley, I guess a lot depends on if you plan on belting it up, whether for your own use, or at a show.

Bee's wax, or a bit of Neatsfoot oil for leather should protect it. Although the neatsfoot may make it a bit slippery if your going to belt it up to something. Shouldn't take much...

/ 1953 Farmall Super M #10  
It just dawned on me that I remember Dad pouring molasses on the belt one time, because the belt was slipping on the old F-14's steel pulley. Po' people have po' ways... :)

i can recall, in leaner times, polishing a pair of black boots with a rag and a bit of cooking oil before going into work.

i teel ya what. made em shine up and shed water as good as any 'shoe' polish conditioner did.. and was virtually free.