Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    20
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    1945 Farmall A & 1965 Ford 5000

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    post back if you need help, and good luck
    Well I put on the n VR tonight. I had loosened the generator belt and tilted the gen out so I could more easily see the connections. The old VR had the bat on one side and the field and gen on the other side. I'm not sure the previous owner had it hooked up correct but I had no choice but to hook it back up the same way it was. (The instructions reinterated hooking it up right and had lists of different model connections. However I don't have the serial number for my tractor since someone changed out the seat with another model tractor so I'm not positive of the year. Previous owner says it's a 45 "A". ) When I hooked the battery back up the gen started to motor! What's up with that? Ccan you help me with that? I'll have more time tomorrow night and hope to get it traced out then.

  2. #12
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,180
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Stevens View Post
    The old VR had the bat on one side and the field and gen on the other side. I'm not sure the previous owner had it hooked up correct but I had no choice but to hook it back up the same way it was. (.
    no choice? really?

    you don't own any wire?

    hook it up correctly.. or don't bother.

    field to field. arm to arm ( may be called gen )

    ground to ground.

    bat on vreg to wherever it goes on an A.. ammtere or hot of solenoid.. etc..

    sounds like you hit arm with bat and made her motor, as field is closed at rest normally.

  3. #13
    Super Member txdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,923
    Location
    Central Texas
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030HST 1947 Farmall A Hustler FasTrak

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    Does the 12V have to be positive ground like the 6V?
    TXDon

  4. #14
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,180
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    if it's a genny, and a mechanical vreg. they can go either way.

    if you have electgronic ignition.. it wants a specific polarity.

  5. #15
    Bronze Member Kiwi Farmall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    54
    Location
    Mossburn ,New Zealand
    Tractor
    1941 Mccormick Deering Farmall A and 1947 Mccormick Deering W4

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Stevens View Post
    Well I put on the n VR tonight. I had loosened the generator belt and tilted the gen out so I could more easily see the connections. The old VR had the bat on one side and the field and gen on the other side. I'm not sure the previous owner had it hooked up correct but I had no choice but to hook it back up the same way it was. (The instructions reinterated hooking it up right and had lists of different model connections. However I don't have the serial number for my tractor since someone changed out the seat with another model tractor so I'm not positive of the year. Previous owner says it's a 45 "A". ) When I hooked the battery back up the gen started to motor! What's up with that? Ccan you help me with that? I'll have more time tomorrow night and hope to get it traced out then.
    You should still find the serial number stamped on the block above the mag or distrubutor which will confirm the year the tractor was built.

  6. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    20
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    1945 Farmall A & 1965 Ford 5000

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    Tonight I finally had time, (and wire!), to re-wire it and hooked it all back up. Started her up and it's charging. Whew! Feels good. 6 volt bulbs burn bright now. Thanks for the help Soundguy. After that I rebuilt the tie-rods and the steering is much tighter now. I'm a little happier tonight. Tomorrow I'll dig into the PTO.

  7. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    20
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    1945 Farmall A & 1965 Ford 5000

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    Thanks KF. I appreciae the help! I'll check that tomorrow morning.

  8. #18
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,180
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Stevens View Post
    Tonight I finally had time, (and wire!), to re-wire it and hooked it all back up. Started her up and it's charging. Whew! Feels good. 6 volt bulbs burn bright now. Thanks for the help Soundguy. After that I rebuilt the tie-rods and the steering is much tighter now. I'm a little happier tonight. Tomorrow I'll dig into the PTO.
    i'm glad you rewired her.

    I've seen several cob-jobs on wireing from previous owners that left a good genny non charging.

    my IH cub ( 66 ) came to me that way.

    prev owner just hooked any old wire up to the vreg in hope that it might work

    first thing I did was just cut them off and ran my own for testing as the duct tape and house wire he had were just too much to even try to follow for test purposes...

    glad you got her going!

  9. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    20
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tractor
    1945 Farmall A & 1965 Ford 5000

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    I agree. I have a 54 Chevy that I've had to do the same to. The "A" was newly wired but I didn't have the time to chase it all down so last night I just hooked it all up like it was previoulsy and checked the ammeter. It motored and I sure thought I fried the VR but it appears all is OK. The wire from the ammeter was hooked up to the A on the gen and there was no ground wither. Working good now though. Thanks.



    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    i'm glad you rewired her.

    I've seen several cob-jobs on wireing from previous owners that left a good genny non charging.

    my IH cub ( 66 ) came to me that way.

    prev owner just hooked any old wire up to the vreg in hope that it might work

    first thing I did was just cut them off and ran my own for testing as the duct tape and house wire he had were just too much to even try to follow for test purposes...

    glad you got her going!

  10. #20
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    49,180
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

    makes you wonder what some people are doing with a wire diagram when you se wireing like that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 1945 Farmall A
    By Jerry Stevens in forum Case-IH
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
  2. farmall charging
    By bill54 in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 08:45 PM
  3. Charging system
    By romoshka in forum Yanmar
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 05:21 PM
  4. Charging System
    By luscsmith in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM
  5. New here with a ?? on a charging system.
    By GeeWally in forum General Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.