Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system

/ Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system
post back if you need help, and good luck

Well I put on the n VR tonight. I had loosened the generator belt and tilted the gen out so I could more easily see the connections. The old VR had the bat on one side and the field and gen on the other side. I'm not sure the previous owner had it hooked up correct but I had no choice but to hook it back up the same way it was. (The instructions reinterated hooking it up right and had lists of different model connections. However I don't have the serial number for my tractor since someone changed out the seat with another model tractor so I'm not positive of the year. Previous owner says it's a 45 "A". ) When I hooked the battery back up the gen started to motor! What's up with that? Ccan you help me with that? I'll have more time tomorrow night and hope to get it traced out then.

/ Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system #12  
The old VR had the bat on one side and the field and gen on the other side. I'm not sure the previous owner had it hooked up correct but I had no choice but to hook it back up the same way it was. (.

no choice? really?

you don't own any wire?

hook it up correctly.. or don't bother.

field to field. arm to arm ( may be called gen )

ground to ground.

bat on vreg to wherever it goes on an A.. ammtere or hot of solenoid.. etc..

sounds like you hit arm with bat and made her motor, as field is closed at rest normally.

/ Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system #13  
Does the 12V have to be positive ground like the 6V?

/ Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system #14  
if it's a genny, and a mechanical vreg. they can go either way.

if you have electgronic ignition.. it wants a specific polarity.

/ Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system #15  
Well I put on the n VR tonight. I had loosened the generator belt and tilted the gen out so I could more easily see the connections. The old VR had the bat on one side and the field and gen on the other side. I'm not sure the previous owner had it hooked up correct but I had no choice but to hook it back up the same way it was. (The instructions reinterated hooking it up right and had lists of different model connections. However I don't have the serial number for my tractor since someone changed out the seat with another model tractor so I'm not positive of the year. Previous owner says it's a 45 "A". ) When I hooked the battery back up the gen started to motor! What's up with that? Ccan you help me with that? I'll have more time tomorrow night and hope to get it traced out then.

You should still find the serial number stamped on the block above the mag or distrubutor which will confirm the year the tractor was built.

Tonight I finally had time, (and wire!), to re-wire it and hooked it all back up. Started her up and it's charging. Whew! Feels good. 6 volt bulbs burn bright now. Thanks for the help Soundguy. After that I rebuilt the tie-rods and the steering is much tighter now. I'm a little happier tonight. Tomorrow I'll dig into the PTO.

Thanks KF. I appreciae the help! I'll check that tomorrow morning.

/ Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system #18  
Tonight I finally had time, (and wire!), to re-wire it and hooked it all back up. Started her up and it's charging. Whew! Feels good. 6 volt bulbs burn bright now. Thanks for the help Soundguy. After that I rebuilt the tie-rods and the steering is much tighter now. I'm a little happier tonight. Tomorrow I'll dig into the PTO.

i'm glad you rewired her.

I've seen several cob-jobs on wireing from previous owners that left a good genny non charging.

my IH cub ( 66 ) came to me that way.

prev owner just hooked any old wire up to the vreg in hope that it might work :(

first thing I did was just cut them off and ran my own for testing as the duct tape and house wire he had were just too much to even try to follow for test purposes... :)

glad you got her going!

I agree. I have a 54 Chevy that I've had to do the same to. The "A" was newly wired but I didn't have the time to chase it all down so last night I just hooked it all up like it was previoulsy and checked the ammeter. It motored and I sure thought I fried the VR but it appears all is OK. The wire from the ammeter was hooked up to the A on the gen and there was no ground wither. Working good now though. Thanks.

i'm glad you rewired her.

I've seen several cob-jobs on wireing from previous owners that left a good genny non charging.

my IH cub ( 66 ) came to me that way.

prev owner just hooked any old wire up to the vreg in hope that it might work :(

first thing I did was just cut them off and ran my own for testing as the duct tape and house wire he had were just too much to even try to follow for test purposes... :)

glad you got her going!

/ Problems with 1945 Farmall A charging system #20  
makes you wonder what some people are doing with a wire diagram when you se wireing like that. :)