cub

/ cub #1  

Sonny580

Platinum Member
Tractor
several kinds and sizes
Want to our local auction yesterday and got 1 of the 2cubs!---missed the other one, but at least 1 came home with us, as did the Woods RM 59 mower and some other goodies!

1948Cub_zpsc8761e0f.jpg

It dont look the greatest, but runs decent ---still got the danged old magneto on it and 6-volt system, and the generator actually charges! LOL!!! thanks; sonny580

/ cub #2  
Congrats,looking forward to action pics.

/ cub #3  
Nice. Do you plan on restoring it?

/ cub #4  
Don't knock the mag. If they are in proper working order, and tractor tuned good, you can't beat them, especially on the smaller tractors. If the battery is down, a couple of cranks, and it's up and running.

Nothing really wrong with the 6V system either. If ever the battery cables need replaced, use a heavy gauge cable, not a light automotive type.

Cubbies were OK for what they were designed for, and equipped with. Most were 9 hp, and that was on a good day... Great in the truck patch, where they were designed for.

/ cub
As long as it starts and runs, I wont convert it, ---BUT when the no-go time comes, it gets changed to battery ignition and 12-v neg ground system!---right now the lights even work!
I need to see if I can make another 3-pt. for it like I did one of the other cubs!---I made several imps. for the cubs 3-pt, and sometimes need 2 of them running together in the gardens! thanks; sonny 580

/ cub #6  
Something just caught my eye on the front axle... Is that a non-adjustable front axle..?? The steering knuckle tubes look rather long. If it is, don't know that I've ever saw one, or knew there was such a thing on them, until I just checked at Case/IH.

/ cub
I think its adjustable,---BUT it stood taller than the other 48 at the auction and I couldnt figure out why? when this snow storm passes over I will see if I can get into the shed and have a better look!---Both tractors had same size tires on them,---the other one was NOT a low-boy (too tall for that but not as tall as this tractor)---I need to get more pics!--- I think its taller than my 49, and the 56 that I also have in the red models.---the yellow/white one has square front and kinda hard to tell if its taller than it or not! thanks; sonny580

/ cub #8  
i agree... you can start a tractor with a dead bat and a mag if you park it on a hill.. or pull it off.. etc.

that cub actually looks to be in pretty good shape...

can't wait to see more.

Don't knock the mag. If they are in proper working order, and tractor tuned good, you can't beat them, especially on the smaller tractors. If the battery is down, a couple of cranks, and it's up and running.

Nothing really wrong with the 6V system either. If ever the battery cables need replaced, use a heavy gauge cable, not a light automotive type.

Cubbies were OK for what they were designed for, and equipped with. Most were 9 hp, and that was on a good day... Great in the truck patch, where they were designed for.

/ cub
The front axle is adjustable type,---looked today!---still cant figure why it sits higher than the other tractors look to be! thanks; sonny580

/ cub #10  
For one thing, those look to be larger then the standard 12" tires. Look more to be 15". Am I not correct on the Cubs having 12" tires..?? Just wondering if someone modded an AV front axle to it. And possibly the spindle bearings match something like a 240 hub, with the disc type wheels. All the A', B's & C's I've seen, have the open center wheels, unless they have the single front.

You could be the proud owner of a one-of-a-kind..!! Dang, I'd have to be looking on the hubs for part numbers, then run them @ Messicks...!!