Sickle Bar for Super C

/ Sickle Bar for Super C #1  

TommyJD790

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 790, Farmall Super C
I'm looking to find a Sickle mower for my '52 Farmall Super C with 3 pt hitch.
Most of the mowers I find say that you need 30hp min.

Does anyone have a recommendation ?

Tommy-

Last edited:
   / Sickle Bar for Super C #2  
I'm looking to find a Sickle mower for my '52 Farmall Super C with 3 pt hitch.
Most of the mowers I find say that you need 30hp min.

Does anyone have a recommendation ?

Tommy-

The ideal mower for your Super C with a three point hitch is the IH 1300 balanced head mower. And, you don't need hydraulics to lift the bar, the bar is mechanically raised as the 3 point lifts the mower.
1712.jpg
I know for certain this mower doesn't need 30 hp because I run a 1300 on my little 19hp JD750.
The 19 hp is plenty of power, however, the JD 750 is a little light and when the bar clogs it pulls the front of the tractor sideways, rather convenient actually, I dubbed it the clog indicator.
Clearing 100 acres I have cut some extremely rough stuff and on some moderately steep hills. The Farmall C or Super C would be an excellent platform for the 1300 mower, much more stability and traction than the little 750 with turf tires..

Soon as the weather clears I am side mounting the same IH balanced head mower on an old $400 buck 1950 Farmall C. See image below for a side mount installation:
The mower will be permanently mounted and that's all the tractor will be used for.
SideMountMowerHardware.jpg

Last edited:
   / Sickle Bar for Super C #3  
I have run a couple different 7 footer's on my Super C's cutting hay with no problem. Although they are Fast Hitch mowers, 7', is 7'.

/ Sickle Bar for Super C
Thanks guys.

The IH 1300 is exactly what I've been looking at. Good to know that the Super C can power it.

I love that side mounted bar.

Tommy-

/ Sickle Bar for Super C #5  
Good Afternoon Tommy,
I have the old rear mount 16A mower for my 42 A and would really like to have a side mount like he one pictured and mount it on my 49 Super A. The side mount is the way to go IMO...

Good Luck with it ! :)

/ Sickle Bar for Super C #6  
My Dad had a 200 Farmall with the fast hitch. He mowed an awful lot of hay with a 7' sickle bar mower on that 2 point fast hitch! Have fun with that old iron!

Frank

/ Sickle Bar for Super C #7  
I have a rear mounted sickle bar mower that can mow dtches. I had it hooked up to my Super A but it would work on a 100 and probably on a C. I am sellit if you are interested.

/ Sickle Bar for Super C #8  
A friend is looking for a 110 side mount. I've done some looking and have pretty much decided that the 110 is to hard to find parts for. The search may have to include the 1300.