Farmall M

/ Farmall M #12  
i expect to drewl over some pics...

/ Farmall M #13  
it is a narrow front end Row crop model looks nice in pics. he used it to bail hay and run manure spreader and grain auger told me it was 40hp or bigger im guessing if they bailed hay with it as much as he said then has a live pto. im going Saturday to drive it I thought 1400 asking price is good deal all needs is new battery. he also said he has some other farmall tractors. im looking for a good antique pullin tractor

To me "live PTO" means that the clutch can be pushed in to stop the tractor's wheels from turning and the PTO will continue running. The only way I could make the PTO on my M turn, while the tractor was standing still, was to place the shift lever in neutral. If the owner of the M you're considering can show you how to do this in any other way, please explain it to me. Maybe his definition of "live PTO" is different to mine.
My M had a patch on the rear end, on the same side as the brake. I believe I saw another Farmall with a hole where mine had been patched. My understanding is that a bearing went out and a gear cut through the differential housing. You might want to check that out.
If the tractor you're considering is one with a good shock absorber attached to the seat, it should help the ride. I sure wished mine had had one. People loved the M and Super M. Good luck.
TractorData.com Farmall M tractor information

/ Farmall M #14  
I hope it works out for you. I might get crap for this but if this is going to be used given the choice I would much rather sit on a W9. :)

The W9 is a bigger tractor than the Farmall M. The W6 was the standard version of the Farmall M

/ Farmall M
do all years of the M take the same amount of engine oil and rear end fluid? and how much fluid

/ Farmall M #18  
Tractordata.com says that the Super MTA had independant PTO. I "THINK" that's the same as live power. Is it a Super MTA?
TractorData.com Farmall Super M tractor information
You you are talking IH and see TA they are talking about Torque Amplifier. For the people that do not know it is a 2 speed transmission designed to shift under load without using the clutch. I did look it up to check

International Harvester (IH) produced the Farmall Super M from 1952 to 1954. There were many variations of Super M's back then. One variation was a "Super MD", which used diesel fuel. Another variation was the "Super MTA" which had a torque amplifier. That basically means that you double the gears.The Super M has a 264 cid engine with a 6 volt electrical system. The Farmall Super M has 5 forward gears and 1 reverse gear. There were about 44,551 Super M's produced, 5,199 Super MD's produced, and about 26,924 Super MTA's produced.

/ Farmall M #19  
You you are talking IH and see TA they are talking about Torque Amplifier. For the people that do not know it is a 2 speed transmission designed to shift under load without using the clutch. I did look it up to check

Please click on the link below. The last sentence under "Overview" says that the Super MTA had a tork amplifier AND an independent PTO. Is an independent PTO not the same thing as live power?
TractorData.com Farmall Super M tractor information