Farmall M

/ Farmall M #41  
can anyone lead me on a way how to turn the throttle down so it doesnlt idle so high

I would try the idle adjustment on the carburetor. Tweek it until it idles at a speed you are happy with.

/ Farmall M
which screw is it?

/ Farmall M #44  
can anyone lead me on a way how to turn the throttle down so it doesnlt idle so high

just follow the linkage and make the adjustments. it's all manual linkage...

/ Farmall M
got the radiator in no leaks I am just having a leak in the front of the water pump all the way in the front of the fan its leaking the that big brass bolt in the front is it possible that came loos or what is leaking? or what do I need to do

/ Farmall M #46  
Farmall M's are Notorious for leaking at the water pump, put about 3 or 4 squirts of grease from grease gun in each of the two grease zerks in the water pump and this should solve your problem, anyhow it solved mine. Gary

/ Farmall M
I greesed it and ran it to operating tempratur its still leaking don't no what to do? also my other question it is leaking gear oil out of the front of the axel its leaking out of this round peaice that constantly turns while the tractor is running. its up were can get to the clutch and fly wheel its on the axel side and its also leaking out of were the clutch comes out of the axel were and what gaskets do I need for these thanks

/ Farmall M #48  
Click on the link, and it will show an exploded view of your water pump. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Parts Search and Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

Sounds like the packing is leaking. It is behind, what you describe as the big brass bolt. That is the packing gland nut. You might try snugging it a bit if there are some threads showing. If that doesn't do the trick, a new packing is about 12 bucks. Manual says it's best to remove the pump to replace the packing. Pump mounting gasket is under 8 bucks, unless you can tap out a new one out of gasket material.

I'm still thinking you way overfilled the transmission. There is a check plug on the left side, in the area of the clutch pedal. Should be just below the level of the PTO shaft. Back up to post #39, and you will see where I posted a lube chart for the M. Click on it, and it will enlarge. Save it to a file, then you can print it off, maybe a couple of them, and put with your manual for quick reference when changing fluids.

I'm a little confused about the oil leaking out the front of the axle, and possibly getting on the clutch. I'm thinking you mean out the front of the transmission. That would require a seal that goes behind the clutch shaft coupler. It's been a while since I've had my M, and never had to replace that seal, os not sure if you can get the coupler out, without dropping the hyd. pump, which is a job in itself...

Most definitely check the oil level in the transmission, before doing all of that work. I think it may solve a lot of your problems...

/ Farmall M
it is leaking off the brass bolt in front of the pump and if the transmission is suppose to be below the the pipe plug on the left side of the axel then no wonder its leaking out of the front of the transmission as all that stuff is higher then the plug!

/ Farmall M #50  
To answer your original question, the oil you should use is nothing less than 80w-90 I use 85w-140 which is thicker. When you drain any old oil from the rear end, you will usually have a thicker oil than what you put in. 85w-140 is the closest I have found. The capacity of the transmission oil is either 11 or 13 gallons. The older manuals say 11 gallons, and the newer manuals say 13 gallons.