Farmall M

/ Farmall M
its already full maybe from the sound of it OVER filled I never drained the old out I just refilled because it was leaking when I got it so I just let it leak out the old/new stuff on its own until I find the seals for it. my other questing from yall with farmalls as some have said they have problems with the dripping in front of the water pump is this just nature of the beast? and how does one tell if the water pump itself is going out were does it drip from on these?

/ Farmall M
also I did not notice then I drove it before I bought but now I do I drove it last night it makes a clicking or ticking noise when I drive it in 1,2,3,4 but not in 5th anyone no what could be it sounds like its coming from inside the transmission its just tick tick tick tick tick now it only does this in gear while its moving it does not do it sitting idle only while tractor moving in gear 1-4. I figured they just do this or probly my luck I have a rear end going out. can over filling with fluid cause this?

/ Farmall M #53  
Did you ever pull the level check plug and let all of the excess run out?

/ Farmall M
no I never have I was going to let it leak out naturally but if it is the cause of the ticking I will do it?

/ Farmall M #55  
The ticking sounds to me like teeth missing of gears. I would lower the oil to the correct hight and make sure that the gears are fully engauged.

/ Farmall M
i lowerd the oil level to the correct height. if it is missing teeth then why does it do it in all gears except 5th? other then the ticking it has no problems I turned the pto on it doesn't make any more or any less sound. if I get of the tractor and stick my head up to the clutch were it running it almost duplicates the sound that it makes when its running I don't no if that would make the sound or not. I can also push the tractor in nuteral and it will not make the sound either. ive herd from others that farmalls make noise and ive herd others say that it means a bearing or gear is going out any ideas?

/ Farmall M #57  
Check all of the wheel, and wheel weight bolts, and make sure they are good and tight. If it does it like 2 times per revolution of the rear wheels, that could be the problem. In the first 4 gears, it may be turning slow enough to let it slop some. 5th, maybe the torque on the bolts being in that high gear don't give it time to slop around... Does it do it in reverse..??

If it does it more rapidly than that, you'll just have to isolate the area the sound is coming from, and dig in...

/ Farmall M
yea it seems to do it in reverse also. but if its coming from the tires spinning then why when I driving in 4th gear and push the clutch down the noise automatically stops and the tractors tires are still rolling to a stop. its Purdy fast click and when I idle the tractor higher the sound picks up speed until the tractors idleing so high that I cant hear it so I don't no what happens then

/ Farmall M #59  
How much free travel do you have in your clutch pedal..?? It should be 1-1/8" free travel from fully released, until you feel it make contact. Have you tried pushing down on the clutch pedal, just as you start to feel pressure, when starting to release the clutch, and does the ticking stop then? Could be the release bearing chattering on the fingers of the pressure plate. Or, could be the release bearing itself. If memory serves me right, there is a grease zerk to lube the throw out bearing. Can't remember if you have to remove the bottom inspection cover to get to it or not. If it's never been greased, that may be the culprit. But if it were real bad, I'm thinking it would have a squal to it, if it were completely dry.

/ Farmall M #60  
Went to Case/IH and found the page of the clutch connections in an exploded view. Click on the link to see it. #27 is the grease tube that has a zerk on the end. #31 is the little swivel grease hole cover you swing out of the way to lube it. Maybe a couple pumps of the grease gun lever, and see if it makes a difference. Too much, and you'll have grease slinging all over the clutch. You could give it a bit more, but you'll have to go easy, and feel for some resistance on the grease gun handle. Know when, to say when...

Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Parts Search and Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts