Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    in search of new iron

Default Re: Farmall M

I have the cover off or I should say it didnlt come with one I will tommroe check the clutch and the ticking out thanks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    in search of new iron

well I tried it when im drivin it in any gear I just barely have to push the clutch in about a half inch-to inch and it will stop. if I turn the pto on and drive it it will not be any quieter or louder it stays the same. if im driving it in first or any gear for that matter and I give it more throttle the clicking noise will get more fast paced. ive pin pointed the noise to either the clutch or the front of the transmission its not in the back I no for sure any ideas?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

If the tick is the same in any gear, guessing it may have to do with the throw out bearing. If you are only pushing in on the clutch about 1/2", and it stops, I'd say you need to adjust the pedal travel. You're not saying how much free travel you have. As mentioned before, it is 1-1/8" of free travel. And that free travel is measured from the pedal stop, (where the pedal rests on the foot platform) in a forward horizontal direction, until you feel it make contact.

Just sounds like the throw out bearing is riding the fingers of the pressure plate. You should be able to look up underneath and see it. Although you will probably need a flashlight, or trouble light to see it.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    in search of new iron

it does it in all gears except 5th. sorry I meant I only have to push the clutch in about 1/2-1inch for the clicking noise to stop. the clutch pedal it self I feel is adjusted just fine in stoping the tractor. Also I herd other say don't no if this has anything to do with noise but on my farmall at the bottom of the transmission case same side as the break levers but on the very bottom on the round part their is a welded line ive herd a drive gear would gouge a hole in bottom of it anyone no anything bout that?
    Last edited by Birchhatchery; 05-18-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    in search of new iron

anyone?

Tractor
    1951 Farmall M

I have a 1951 Farmall M, of which has the same clicking noise, same problem and it does not make the noise in 5th gear and I am pretty sure it has something to do with the belly pump, last February when removing snow and using the loader, the gears locked up and at the same time stopped the engine, so we got the P/U and pulled it backwards and this loosened things up and runs ok except for the ticking noise, not sure if it is related to your problem or not but I'm not going to research mine any more till next year, got to much going on. GOOD LUCK

Silver Member
    Tractor
    in search of new iron

the belly pump? are you referring to the pump that sits below the gas tank on the frame that runs a belt pully off the side?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    in search of new iron

is everyone stumped on this?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    several kinds and sizes

Not stumped,---your just hearing normal Farmall tractor noise---my sm does it,--my h does it and its the the hydraulic pump coupling in the belly of the tractor or the transmission coupling,---NOTHING to worry about! thanks; sonny580

Silver Member
    Tractor
    in search of new iron

that's good to hear thanks

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567