Farmall 140 with stuck ring(s)?

/ Farmall 140 with stuck ring(s)? #1  

Ted Summey

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100F IH McCormick Farmall 140, Massey Ferguson 135
I have a 1962 model Farmall 140 that smokes some/not much but tends to push oil out the dip stick tube. My FIL used it to make beds for and cultivate tobacco, corn and garden. Another tractor was used for heavy plowing and discing. So it really wasn't used hard. It starts and runs fine.

Could it be a stuck ring causing blow by and forcing oil out the dip stick tube? Is there a remdy for stuck rings besides overhaul? No compression test yet.

/ Farmall 140 with stuck ring(s)? #2  
most rings can be freed up with some penetrating oil in the cylinders ( or diesel fuel ) ... let it sit a couple of hours.

/ Farmall 140 with stuck ring(s)? #3  
i'd fill the cyls with atf or atf and a lil diesel mixed.

type f or dex/merc 3

let it set, turn over a lil and keep adding.

if that don't get it. they are likely worn, not stuck...

/ Farmall 140 with stuck ring(s)?
Thanks Chris. I haven't tried anything yet since I am still using it to cultivate garden. I will try something for in a week or so.

/ Farmall 140 with stuck ring(s)?
Spent some time working on the tractor today. Decided to take my own advice and that of a mechanic friend. That is o start with the simple and least expensive and work up. I changed the oil and filter to determine if gas was in the oil. My friend at church suggested that since it is a gravity feed fuel system, gas may have drained into the crankcase diluting the oil. By diluting the oil, the gas started causing blowby and some smoking.

The oil was indeed diluted by gas. It had a strong gasoline odor. So he oil change seems to have helped.

/ Farmall 140 with stuck ring(s)? #6  
"that was easy" .....................................so far