no spark on farmall b

/ no spark on farmall b #1  

wildwoodford

Tractor
john deere
Recently tried to start up our old farmall b. Has new gas, distributer cap, plugs, amd plug wires. Couldnt get it to catch so grounded out a sparkplug to the case and there wss no spark. Also disconnected the kill switch and tried again, stiil no spark. This tractor has been sitting inside for eight years inside after being restored, and was recently passed down to me after the death of my father. Have no idea where to go to next. Gonna assume its something to do with the magnito, but im not very experienced with them. Does anybody no what to look for or what to test? Or is it the kind of situation where you have to just put on another one and try it? Also what kind of oil to put in the air breather?

/ no spark on farmall b #2  
Did you change out the points, if not I would replace them and see if you get spark

/ no spark on farmall b #3  
Assuming the little "B" was running before it went in to the shed for several years.
I had a "B" that would sometimes start and others not even try. and a good cleaning of the magneto fixed the problem . remove #1 spark plug and put finger over the hole and turn until feeling air pressure in cylinder . then listen closely to the snap of the magneto impulse release. as slowly turning the crank. also look at the pointing of the spark cap is it pointing toward # 1 wire in cap. clean the points and check for the points to be closed until cam opens and then should be .012 by feeler gage. the next check might be the condenser if none of this helps. mark where the engine is #1 top center and remove the magneto. have checked at repair shop.
it is one of the easiest engines to fix .Making sure the transmission is in neutral.
I would before starting shut off the switch .choke the engine carb. crank 4 turns . Turn on the switch and one quick pull the engine ran.
Hope this helps in getting it to run.
ken

/ no spark on farmall b #4  
I would guess it to be the condenser also. IF you get your parts through Case/IH, it's less expensive to get the tune-up kit with points, than the condenser alone. At least it was years ago...

Could be just a bit of a burned place on the points too. You can file them, and reset to get by for a while.

/ no spark on farmall b #5  
I agree with the others...but don't fail to use a simple continuity tester and check the wiring. It's been sitting for a long time. You can swap parts till the cows come home, but that won't fix a broken (or mouse chewed) wire.

Get a wiring schematic. INVALUABLE!!

/ no spark on farmall b #6  
As far as the breather I use whatever I have around. Usually 30 wt