Distributor Wire Numbers on IH B414? Which position is Number 1

/ Distributor Wire Numbers on IH B414? Which position is Number 1 #1  

GPintheMitten

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N
My SoninLaw just picked up his grandfather's International B414. It is hard starting. I suspect the spark plug wires are not wired correctly. I know it fires 1342 and I know the engine cylinders are 1 at the radiator then 2,3, 4 working back towards the gas tank. My question is which wire on the distributor is number one? I know the answer is to get a manual, but we just got this unloaded off the trailer a couple hours ago. Also, do you know if it spins clockwise or counter clockwise? I don't know much about this model, it is 12 volt, negative ground.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Distributor Wire Numbers on IH B414? Which position is Number 1
Ok, these are probably rare in the States. Made in Canada and England. But I saw something on the web about the design being sold to Mahindra.

But anyway, I was able to find out by getting cylinder one at TDC, and looking where the rotor is.

I put new plugs in and got the wires right and it runs but not great. Seems to miss on maybe one cylinder. You can hear and feel the air blow back into the oil bath air cleaner. Not sure what the cause and solution is for that.

I bought points, rotor, condenser and cap today, but didnt instal because I think they are the wtong parts. Going to exchange them tomorrow. Apparently this tractor can have one of two different distributors and I guessed wrong. This one has a Lucas distributor.

Anybody got one of these gassers? Suggestions on the miss?

/ Distributor Wire Numbers on IH B414? Which position is Number 1 #3  
Don't have the specs on a B414, but pop the cap, and bump the starter for rotation. All the IH Dist. caps I have, have #1 marked on the cap. Usually has a circle around it. If not, usually #1 is at top right. facing the cap in place.

I'm sure you'll go over the usual plugs & points check, clean & gap, but also check the lugs under the cap for buildup of carbon, and rotor button too. You can scrape it off with a knife to get by for now, if it is that bad... Also check to see if the plug wires are copper. If they are hypalon wires, pitch them, and get some solid copper ones. NAPA sells a plug wire kit for up to 6 cyl. for around $22.00, or they were...

/ Distributor Wire Numbers on IH B414? Which position is Number 1 #4  
Sounds like you have an intake valve hanging open for some reason. Pull the valve cover... Hopefully it just needs adjusted, and not burned that bad.

Sounds like you have an intake valve hanging open for some reason. Pull the valve cover... Hopefully it just needs adjusted, and not burned that bad.

Thanks DJ54 for your posts. I cleaned up the rotor and cap and rubbed the points with a small file, but I'm going to get the right ignition parts tomorrow. I gapped and installed 4 new plugs.

What you said about possibly a sticky valve makes sense. I noticed it doesnt seem to do it on every cycle. If I pull the valve cover, do I put new valve cover gasket on it? I havent pulled a valve cover in 4 decades.

/ Distributor Wire Numbers on IH B414? Which position is Number 1 #6  
Guess it depends on how it comes off. If it's seeping some oil, it may pop right off. If it's not, may have had some gasket sealer applied. and may hang & break. I'm guessing it is a cork gasket, not sure what they have in today's world to replace it. It's been 20 years since I've bought one, and have 2 new one's in the shop tool box, from 20 years ago for my C-113 & C-123 engines Always like to have a spare on hand, you never know...

I usually bump the valve cover back & forth, sideways with the heel of my hand to get it loose.

Ok, thanks DJ. I'll give it a try. I'm also going to replace the plug wires as you mentioned. :)