International 504 TLB questions? Parts?

/ International 504 TLB questions? Parts? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Well, I'll do my best to keep it short:laughing:

Been looking for a project for a few months, and I think I have a line on one. I havent seen the tractor yet, but a friend of a friend has this tractor. All I know so far is what he has told me and he is no tractor guru...

The bad...Stuck motor. Neither he nor his friend know the history. But they tried cranking manually and it wouldnt budge. HE said the BH appeared heavy duty, with a formed boom like my ford 5500. (so no light weight long 3PH model).

Tractor also has a loader. Not sure what models were available for the tractor.

It sounds like a basket case. Stuck motor, one rear off the bead, etc. But I think it is worthwhile since he is asking 1200 and negotiable. I dont want to be stuck with a pile and told him I would research the weights and probably offer scrap price for it. Which in my area is 170/ton. So I am figuring $800

So a few questions

1. Weight?? I am guessing ~9k, since bare tractor is ~4500. Then add loader and hoe
2. Any other concerns with this tractor model? Know problems?
3. What are parts availability? I know rebuild kits can be had, but what about if it needs a crank?? or block?? How many other tractors used this engine
4. I am sure I will come up with more

This is all I know for now. Hope to find out more this weekend. I have kinda just been looking for a ~50HP 2wd tractor to use as my bushhog tractor, but didnt want one with a loader in the way. So I may end up selling off the loader and hoe......or even just keeping and parting with my 5500??? Either way, if I can get it for scrap value, I can likely part it out and triple the money. I ended up doing that with a ford 3400 I bought off my uncle for scrap price with a cracked block.........

Enough rambling. Any info regarding the 504 and what loader and BH might be on it is greatly appreciated.

/ International 504 TLB questions? Parts? #2  
Those old 504's were almost bulletproof. I'm assuming it's a diesel, which would/should be the 188-D. Parts seem to be plentyful, doing a quick search. First hit in the list looking for a crank shows a reground for $513.00 + change. Includes bearings... Not bad..

If it's an IH loader, should be a 1000 or 2000, can't remember. I have an original OP manual for one around here somewhere... Loaders if I remember correctly fit the 504, 2504, 606, etc.

/ International 504 TLB questions? Parts?
If it's an IH loader, should be a 1000 or 2000, can't remember. I have an original OP manual for one around here somewhere... Loaders if I remember correctly fit the 504, 2504, 606, etc.

I'd definatally be interested in what loader it is and what the specs may be on said loader. And possibly how much the loader weighs?

Do you recall if the manuals said anything about optional backhoes??

Those old 504's were almost bulletproof. I'm assuming it's a diesel,

Yes its diesel. And thats good to know. I dont know their level of tractor knowledge, so I dont know if the motor is truly blocked. The way my friend described, they were trying to turn by hand. Perhaps they left it in gear? Or perhaps just a stuck clutch?

Took a crappy pic today driving by. I didnt want to stop as he works the off shift and didnt want to disturb him. Its the best pic I got at the moment. The back tire is clearly off the rim.....

Its 4.3 miles away. If we deal, now how to get it home......

IF it wasnt for the tire, I'd prolly just pull it home as opposed to trying to push in on the deck-over GN trailer. But.....I guess I'll just have to look at it and then decide.

Think she is in the 9000-10000 lb range??

IMG_20130926_123509_171.jpg

/ International 504 TLB questions? Parts? #5  
Here is a picture off the front page of my manual. Looks like the upright frame where the loader arms attach on the 504 are heavier, than on the 2000 loader. Seems Wagner made hoes & such for farm tractors back in that era. Maybe that's what it is..??

Looks like the exhaust is intact, as near as I can tell. Hopefully it's not stuck all that bad. I have turned a diesel over, but was with a 3/4" breaker bar, and had to tug pretty hard. When they say "by hand", was it with a crank, or literally by hand. I'm thinking snugging the fan belt, and trying to turn it with the fan might be a little tough with close to 18:1 compression.

I'd say you're in the ball park on the weight.

2000 loader.jpg

Well thanks for the info, but I passed on it. Best I could do is part it out and maybe make a bit, but not worth the time. I am looking for something to semi-restore and be usable, but not something that needs more money than its worth.

I dont know if its the 2000 loader, cause it was a single cylinder dump. Bucket was just a tiny ~3-3.5' manure bucket with the forks off, and one base pin busted off the bucket.

The BH had 2 cylinders with blown seals, and rods pretty pitted, as well as a ton cracks that have had weld blobbed all over them....

All hydraulic hoses were completely shot.

Tires weren't usable. Totally dry rotted appart.

As to it being locked up, I double checked and they said it was indeed out of gear and clutch blocked. And they sprayed PB blaster in the cylinders and let it sit a few days and tried with a breaker bar and 4' pipe and still wouldnt budge. They said clutch wasnt stick, cause they also tried to pull it to turn over, and pushing the clutch did release it from the engine.

Sheetmetal and seat were also not in the best of condition. And it was missing the 3PH parts.

He said he had a tractor boneyard offer him $1500 if he could get it to them. I told him that was likely his best bet.

/ International 504 TLB questions? Parts? #7  
LOL..., Yup, most definitely stuck... And you're right, that would be his best bet, unless he was fishing for an offer... He'd better take it..!!