IH 300 Utility....My new project

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project
Update:

Got it running today by pullstarting. Ran rough. Carb way out of adjustment, old sparky stuff, weak battery, and very stale gas. But it did run, and all 5 gears work, but I think the TA is out of adjustment.

When pulling back, it runs out of range right as the engine seems to change tone. But no speed change. I think it is out of adjustment.

Hydraulics work good.

The PTO has some issues and I dont know what Im in for there. Runs fine, but when disengaging, right as the lever is all the way down, it PTO is "just" stopping, but makes sorta a grinding/slipping noise. And there is also a vent hole or something about 2" above the PTO shaft, that when attempting to stop it, oil ran out this hole??

So far, I think its worth ordering some parts for. Starting with a general tune up kit, and I'll go from there...

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #12  
Glad you at least got it started. Don't know much about the 300's as I've got models older, and newer than that series... At least using the parts pages, you can have a look see at the internals, and maybe help diagnose things.

Oil coming out that hole, almost sounds like the oil if floating on water. I'm thinking the oil level should be at, or just below the bottom of the PTO shaft. The exploded view of the PTO is under attachments, but the picture isn't real clear. Is there a side check plug, about the level of the bottom of the PTO shaft..??

The oil coming out was milky. So definitely water in there. Upon further examination, that hole is threaded. 1/8 npt. So now I am wondering, does that independent PTO box use its own oil?? And that might be a fill hole???

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #15  
I checked under attachments in the parts book, section/page 347, and those do seem to be a sealed unit.

For what it's worth, I scanned a lube chart for a 300, and posted below. If you click on it, it should enlarge enough to read well. And if you print it, it should come out a full page size. It shows the fill plug to the left top. I see an indentation on the left front in the one photo. It also shows a check plug on the chart, and I see a smaller plug, just below the PTO shaft level. Chart also shows the location on the left side for the drain.

Looking on the Case/IH parts page, listed under attachments, and page/section 347, it shows a breather where that possible plug is a top left front.

Also did a Google image search for a 300 IPTO, and found this image. Not real big, but does look like a pipe plug, but more like 3/8. It also shows the breather that should be there. Maybe why the plug was removed, to keep it from barfing oil around the seal, since there is no apparent breather..?? mhmXdLAvJeYQpF5vMzLaHKA.jpg

300 Utility Lube Chart.jpg

With it being a sealed unit all to itself, I wont worry too much. I got to get in there anyway cause it was oozing a but out from around the PTO shaft too. It probably filled up with water, and spinning is why its running out.

Thanks for that lube chart. I was wondering the capacities. Looks like 2 5-gal buckets of hydraulic fluid will be just a quart and a half short.

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #17  
Better read that chart again... That's in quarts. 14 at most, so should give you 1-1/2 gal. for refills if needed.

I was counting the trans as well.

28 qts for the trans, 13.5 for the hydraulics. 41.5 qts total.

Unless for some reason universal trans/hydro fluid isnt good enough for the trans??

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #19  
Well, you got me there... Guess I shoulda' checked the chart myself... :eek: Sorry... I'd imagine they spec. Hy-Tran for that. I use TSC's Premium, and have for years. No problems so far.

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #20  
I had a 300U for about 15 years. I totally restored mine, I had about 8K in it. It is a awesome bushogging tractor. My problems started when I tried to put a loader on it. 1st, the front axle isn't designed to support a loader. 2nd, with a loader on it, without power steering, it is almost useless. Power steering units are very rare. I used hytran for the pto. I am not sure , but I think I used tsc stuff later. I sold it after I broke the crank in it, hit a stump bushhogging. I have a reprint manual, that i will give you if you want. PM on here.