IH 300 Utility....My new project

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Well here is my new project for now.....

IMG_20131002_193950_187.jpgIMG_20131002_194004_779.jpgIMG_20131002_194036_174.jpgIMG_20131002_194043_559.jpgIMG_20131002_194103_457.jpgIMG_20131002_194146_052.jpg

Just got her home tonight and its time to eat dinner.

Hopefully I will have time to go over everything and analyze what I am going to do. I need to see what all it needs, and make a decision if a restore is worth the money, or if I will part it out. Heck, the rear 28" tires in my area, I could have them sold for $300-$400 in two days.

I know it needs a shifter cover (you can see it is cracked), A seat, a little stamped metal cover under where the battery goes, a battery, and maybe a starter.

This tractor "supposedly" ran when parked a year ago. It dont run now cause the bendix in the starter "supposedly" isnt engaging, and only spinning. They guy said he bench tested it???

Might make for a cool project and a good bushhog tractor when done, or if it is going to cost more than its worth to rebuild, I'll part it out and make some money that way.

Also came with a junk light duty 5' bushhog, that has some busted metal, loose stump jumper, and missing 1/2 a PTO shaft.:confused2:

$100 spent on the hog with some paint and 1/2 shaft and it'll sell for $300 easy. Tires are really good on the rears, ($300-$400) and 4k lbs of scrap metal for $350, I figured it was worth picking up for $600:thumbsup: even if I cant get her to her former glory again....

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #2  
God deal, it came with a driver.

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #3  
Have you tried to pull start it?

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project
Have you tried to pull start it?

Not yet. But will attempt that if I cannot get the starter working properly.

I didnt want to pull start it, or attempt to do so when buying. Because it not running was my bargaining chip. If it happened to fire and run, I doubt I would have gotten it for $600.

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #5  
Cool project, keep us posted

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #6  
I think you got a good deal on that tractor. It is a shame that the rear tires don't match. I know photos hide a lot but I think that tractor will do up really nice and it would be a shame for it to make the trip to china.

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #7  
Not yet. But will attempt that if I cannot get the starter working properly.

I didnt want to pull start it, or attempt to do so when buying. Because it not running was my bargaining chip. If it happened to fire and run, I doubt I would have gotten it for $600.
Good thinking!

Well, so far here is I list of what I know I need if I can get it running....

All fluids and filters..........................................................~$120
Ignition (points, plugs, wire, cap/rotor, etc..............................$50
Proofmeter........................................................................$53
TAch cable.....................................................................~$15
Choke cable.....................................................................~$15
Steering wheel...................................................................$50
Plate under battery.............................................................$30
Shift lever plate..................................................................cannot find, might have to repair
Paint and supplies.............................................................~$100

The hitch needs some work to be usable. It is still the fast hitch with 2-point conversion, so the arms dont swing out independently of each other and the spacing is wrong to use the way it is designed. SO I'll re-design it and likely not spend much money on that. Some of the pins need tightened/replaced in the hitch too, so no money there.

Looks like I might squeak by in the $500 range, and lots of elbow grease. But that is if I can get her running, and make sure there are no issues with the engine, trans, TA, and hydraulics......

/ IH 300 Utility....My new project #9  
Don't know if you've ever used the Case/IH online parts book, but here's a link to it. I went ahead and found the pages for the 300 utility, so all you have to do is click & go. I've had my best luck looking for parts using the part number. You can click on the part selected, and another page will appear with full description. You can copy and paste the part number from that page, and go searching.
Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

I did a search for the shift swivel on Google using the part number, and did find a used one for $25.00 in Maine. Don't know how current the page is so...

Also, if you need other used items, you might try here:INTERNATIONAL 300 Parts, INTERNATIONAL 300 Machine Salvage, INTERNATIONAL 300 Dismantled Machines At TractorHouse.com Lists 55 300's, but some are Farmalls, (row crop) but many utilities...

I've only seen a few 300's locally, but don't believe I've ever seen one with spin-outs... To the right guy, the rims & disc's are worth what you paid for the tractor.

Looks like it would be a fun tractor, and project..!!

And in case you don't know, that T/A will free wheel in the low side, going down hill..!! Just don't use it to slow down if it does. Slow it with the brakes, then move to the high side. I read where this is the worst thing to do on a dry T/A, and will take them out

Thanks for the links to the parts book. I am sure it will come in handy:thumbsup:

I also read that about the TA freewheeling, and also not to try pullstarting with the TA engaged