1946 farmall h front wheel wobble

/ 1946 farmall h front wheel wobble #1  

zp18

Tractor
1946 farmall H , John Deere 4200 , John Deere 445
the front wheels on my 46 farmall wobble slightly when i drive at higher speeds. im not sure if it has something to do with the wheels or the front 'axle' itself. it doesnt affect the steering at all. im just wondering what would cause this to happen.

/ 1946 farmall h front wheel wobble #2  
I don't know that much about a 46 farmall but I would think you have a wore bushing on one of the tie rods.. lift the front end and wiggle the front tires one at a time and look for the slack.. Lou

/ 1946 farmall h front wheel wobble #3  
From your avatar, it looks like a narrow front end? When not moving, how much play is in the steering before the front wheels move. I think a lot of those old tractors typically have some play that shows up in road gear. Not sure about the H, but you can get some play in the universals in the linkage, a missing tooth in the steering gear, worn bushings etc...
The old Case VAC I drove would wobble in road gear, I would say don't worry about a little "slight wobble", but then again, eventually it completely broke and wouldn't steer, which gets me thinking about my friends father. The day after he retired the steering on his H broke, tractor went into a ditch and it rolled on him. A short retirement. Sorry for the depressing story. And sorry that the advice you're probably going to get is: It's normal, nothing to worry about, but it could be serious and kill you. :(

/ 1946 farmall h front wheel wobble
yea its a narrow front end. barley any, the wheels turn right away. i mean it barley wobbles, i dont think its the wheels themselves cuz the whole front moves. im just kinda wondering what causes this, i dont think ill be drivin it in 5th on the road too much for that too happen. and im sorry to hear about that

/ 1946 farmall h front wheel wobble #5  
I would go with Lou bussing, wear in front end. But then again I grew up driving IH A, C, H and C all with narrow " tricycle" front tires never were to steady when going fast.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ 1946 farmall h front wheel wobble #6  
The worm gear in the front is getting worn out!! Can't you turn the steering wheel a good ways before the wheels turn? If you take your grill off you will see a big nut its more like a cap if I Rember rite! Then once you get that off you should see a king nut with a cotter pin. Take it out and tighten the king nut and see if that helps! I'm sure some one makes a rebuild kit for it tho!

no the wheels turn right away. and ok thanks, ill try that and see what happens

/ 1946 farmall h front wheel wobble #8  
he previously said there is no lag in ster wheel to tire movement.

I'd check bearings inthe front hubs...

thats kinda what i think it is, but i wasnt sure. thanks

/ 1946 farmall h front wheel wobble #10  
I have a 51 Farmall H with same problem. I'm looking to replace the sector gear inside the front steering column gearbox. If that don't do it, I will then replace the front section steering worm shaft that mates with the sector gear. That's my plan, but I have not done such yet.
Klink