Converting Super C to wide front

/ Converting Super C to wide front #1  

Pipes

Tractor
1952 Super C
I have heard if I can find the parts and convert my tricycle front to wide front it may be hard to steer. Anyone done this? What is a good source for parts? Is it worth the effort and expense for more stability?

/ Converting Super C to wide front #2  
Don't know from personal experience, but guessing it would be a little harder to steer, but not sure about just plain hard to steer. As long as you're moving, it shouldn't be too bad.

Here is a listing from TractorHouse that has several Super C's with wide fronts for salvage :http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/di...&Manu=INTERNATIONAL&Mdltxt=SUPER+C&mdlx=exact

You can always give them a call for price, and see what shipping would be. I'd say the effort and expense would be for you to decide, in your particular situation.

If after you would happen to convert and not like it, I'm sure you could sell the WFE and recoup at least most of your expense.

/ Converting Super C to wide front
Thanks, DJ54. It's something I have been kicking around. No more than I use the C to bush hog my 2 acres, it not a rush situation. While waiting for warm weather I thought I would do a little checking for price and feasibility. Thanks for the input. Merry Christmas!!

/ Converting Super C to wide front #4  
i actually seek out NF's to mow with. steering is a breeze. the original ZTR's...

/ Converting Super C to wide front #5  
i changed my super c to a wide front end for snow plowing and grading with a front mounted blade. when the narrow front end hit a hole or small dip the whole blade would dig in.with the wide front one tire hitting a hole wouldn't affect the blade as much. it does steer somewhat harder but the front end i found had been repaired and the kingpins wern't quite straight. be careful what you buy. they tip out and ahead at the bottom a bit to give the wheels campher and caster. an undamaged wide front end should steer with one hand while moving.

/ Converting Super C to wide front #6  
I like trikes. I have one the same letter and approximate size, but different color ("original" orange). Like SG says, with a mower, they are the "original" zero-turn. That maneuverability also makes them unmatched as multi-row cultivating tractors. Also, better forward visibility, combined with a lot better maneuverability and even weight distribution makes them better for use in the woods dragging logs. A trike with unloaded rears will sometimes damage the ground less than horses/mules/oxen while dragging logs. Them wide-fronts rut things up like crazy in comparison. You will definitely need power steering on your wide-front to get the same ease of steering. If it is safety you are concerned about, I would consider fabricating a roll-bar and adding a seat belt. That would make you safer than a non-rops wide-front at less cost than the conversion. The trikes are a dying breed, no longer manufactured due to the great number of lawyers now populating our country. They are less stable than wide-fronts, but there still are some places where they are vastly superior.

/ Converting Super C to wide front #7  
Any wide front will steer harder than a narrow front (manual steering), at least any I ever drove. An OEM wide front axle for a Super C will also require a 40 acre field to turn around in as compared to the NF.

/ Converting Super C to wide front #8  
One more plus for the trike: You will notice faster brake wear with the wide due to that larger turning radius (unless you have that 40 acres and don't use your breaks at all to steer). The big minus for sure is stability, and I would not blame anyone for wanting more of that. Having several thousand pounds on top of you don't sound like any fun. Thankfully, my place is flat and without a lot of woodchucks and I never had a close call. All the other tractors here are wide front, and those are all I use mowing along ditches and such. If had but a single and it was a trike, I am sure I would add a roll-bar and seatbelt to it, long before a wide conversion.

/ Converting Super C to wide front #9  
Even on the fords there is a big difference in NF singles or dials and wide front on a rc, the NF,s can rotate on a rear, makes turning at the end of a mowed row real nice, wcich is why I still use my 950 for all my larger than lawnmower, smaller than batwing mowing jobs. The Ps on my 941 seems like cheating almost, wide or not.

/ Converting Super C to wide front #10  
if you are using a narrow front end in the woods watch out for cradle knolls and roots etc. when backing up. you could lose your fingers. if they catch on something they'll turn 90* before you can get your hands out of the way of the spokes.