Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery???

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
I have noticed a popping sound coming from the left rear tire of my Farmall A. Does anyone know what this could be? It does not seem to affect anything and is there when I backup or go forward. It does not pop all the time and it almost sounds metallic. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks, Don.

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #2  
Nope, I don't know what it is, but the first thing I'd check is to see if there are some loose lug nuts.

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #3  
Could be in the braking system,for the sound of metal clanging does travel...loose band,rod,spring etc..

You may want to remove the tire in question and check the rim,also the hub{shaft} for wear.

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #4  
TXDon:

Bird is right on. I had, but sold a 1941 Farmall A dual fuel. The Farmall uses a wedge lock rim. The bolts must be tight or the rim will creep with a popping noise. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I probably should have kept it, I was the second owner and had the original factory manuals and bill of sale for it, but I got a bundle for it. Besides, I never used it, just sat in the barn, covered up. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The front rims have the clamp type rim lock and if they get loose, the rim will rotate until the valve stem gets cut off and you have a flat tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #5  
Bird, you just beat me here again with a good answer! I like it. You may not though as some times they are so rusted you can't tighten them or loosen them so the best thing you can do is break and replace them.

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #6  
I believe you'll find the noise is being caused by loose wheel lugs. We have a 1954 Super A that ocassionally does the same thing. Make sure you jack the wheel off the ground as to get all weight off of it before tightening the lugs or it won't help.

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery???
Thanks all, I think that’s it! I’ll find out this weekend and report back. A while back I had the tractor in for some major repairs and had the back tires moved out so the wheels were on the other side of the lugs. Since then I have use it for about 40 hours on very rough land. Thanks again. Don.

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #8  
TXDon:

You can tell pretty easily if they are loose just by examining the mounts where the U shaped lug rides the center section of the wheel.

If the metal right at the edge of the U where it butts up to the center section is shiny or has new rust, it's loose.

/ Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery???
FIXED. Loose lug nuts were the problem, Thanks all!!!! Daryl the mounts were just as you described them. Attached is the photo of the mounts with the paint rubbed off on the wheel. MiniOaksMocha thanks for the tip of jacking the wheel off the ground. The next attachment is the happy Farmall A.
Thanks, Don

Attachments

• 339146-farmallA.jpg
    339146-farmallA.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 316
   / Farmall A - popping wheel sound mystery??? #10  
Glad it was something simple, Don. By the way, do Mr. & Mrs. Sell still run the Lee County Peanut Company?