48 Farmall H leaking coolant

/ 48 Farmall H leaking coolant #1  

damammel

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
I recently purchased a 48 Farmall H. I ran it yesterday for 15 minutes when I noticed coolant leaking from the overflow tube. The temp gauge is not working but with a temp gun the back of the head only read 144 F. I'm trying to determine what to inspect/replace. Not sure if it has the right cap or a faulty thermostat. I have not found much online about this except for it happening when working the tractor hard in hot weather. Neither of which I was doing yesterday.

/ 48 Farmall H leaking coolant #3  
How much coolant is going out the overflow? Is the coolant covering the tubes or full all the way to the top? If filled to the top they will leak some until they find their own level. I would check and if needed replace the radiator cap first .

/ 48 Farmall H leaking coolant
Thanks for the replies. I actually got my operators manual in last night so I spent some time reading through it. Found that the radiator should only be filled to 2 1/4 inches below the opening. I'm very happy there's no actual issue. I still plan on doing a flush of the system, a new thermostat and a new gauge. Can't wait to start using the tractor.

/ 48 Farmall H leaking coolant #5  
After adding the new gear and using the tractor think oatmeal if it still persists.

/ 48 Farmall H leaking coolant #6  
I had a nice H that developed a leak at the Base of the Radiator had to pull it more than once.took to radiator repair shop.

/ 48 Farmall H leaking coolant
How did it go with the repair shop? Was it worth having it fixed?

/ 48 Farmall H leaking coolant #8  
If it does turn out to be a leak. please get it fixed correctly. save pepper and oatmeal for the breakfast table.

those home brew fixes as well as other 'plug up' stop leak fixes CAN work.. the problem is many fold however.

1, think about this. they work by clogging up and puffing up. Think about your cooling system.. is having portions of it clogged up really all that much of a good idea?

2, If you flush your system, plan on your magic-mix-fix flushing out also and leaving you with a leak at some point, or needing to retreat and hope it works and doesn't clog up the system.

3, you have no idea when or if it will fail.. murphy says it's gonna fial while you are mowing and don't notice a small steam stream or spray while working up some dust then all of a sudden the engine locks up tight and you have this really ool red boat anchor because you used a food item to fix soemthing that needed solder or gasket, or oring or hose. Murphy says it will fail when you need it the most and or ar not paying close enough attention to halt catastrophic damage... and I don't wanna see that happen to you or your machine. ;)

I don't put radiator hoses or solder in my breakfast cerial.. and I don't put breakfast cerial into my radiator.

best of luck... hopefully it was just overfull!