Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor

/ Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor #1  

midwesternhayfarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers B, Massey 135, John Deere 4052R
Found a 656 rowcrop, gas with a loader at auction this Saturday. Anything in paticular to watch out for on this tractor. Rear rubber looks good in the pictures. Lift and tilt cylinders on loader have some built up grease at the rod seals. Overhauled 200 hours ago but don't know extent of overhaul at this time. Auctioneer says it smokes a little. Wondering whether its valve seals or just a ring overhaul. Calling on the condition of the TA tomorrow. Factory TPH. Thanks for any info anyone can give me. Will be used primarily for moving large round bales, snowplowing and general loader work on 12 acres.

midwesternhayfarmer.

/ Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor #2  
I would look out for the 656 draining your bank account by drinking gasoline. They run about 5 gallons per hour when working if what I hear is true.

/ Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor #3  
Those are good tractors. Got one just like it. Dad bought it back in the late 80's, and it was just OH'd too, about 150 hrs before he bought it. I inherited in the late 90's.

I'd say the TA would be my biggest concern. There have been no problems with this one since owning it, mechanical wise.

Not sure how big of bales you'll be moving, but the front spindles are a bit light. Just have to take it easy, and don't let a load drop and shock the front end. Dad broke one when loading a pretty good sized cherry log. And I broke the same side 4 years ago, when a bundle of fence posts shifted, and had a bit of slack in the chain and dropped. My round bales weigh around 580 lbs., and have no problem carrying them, but I just mosey along in second direct. If you've ever had a spindle snap, you'll understand why...

Not sure how tall of a building you'll be storing it in, if any, but do try to get the exhaust up over your head a ways. The building it is stored in here, only has 8' tall doors, and Dad trimmed the muffler pipe short to fit. If you get that old girl working, it will talk to you, and they've got a pretty good bark..!!

I don't care what the temps are, you can go out, pull the choke, and just touch the starter button, and it's running.

/ Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor #4  
My dad was looking at one in the 80's to hay with. The guy that had it told him it would only burn 30-40 gallons of gas a day. Needless to say he didn't buy that tractor. And gas sure wasn't 3.50-4.00 a gallon then.

/ Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor
I would look out for the 656 draining your bank account by drinking gasoline. They run about 5 gallons per hour when working if what I hear is true.

You are correct about fuel consumption. According to tractordata.com, Nebraska tractor tests, fuel consumption for the gas was 5.2 gallons per hour for both PTO and drawbar. The diesel wasn't much better though, it consumed 4.3 gallons for both PTO and drawbar. Taking into account the difference in price, it would amount to about $2.00 per hour savings. I don't forsee working the tractor that hard on 12 acres. The biggest concern is winter starting. I do not live on the acreage yet and I would not have the tractor plugged in when I am not there, and if it snows and need the tractor to start immediately to plow snow, the gas would be a better choice IMHO. Thanks for the tip, I did not consider the fuel usage.

/ Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor #6  
Yeah, they're not easy on gas, but for me, and only using it for heavy use on the haybine & round baler 3 times a year on small acreage, I prefer a gasser. It's be stretching it to say I put 50-60 hours on mine a year. All other work is done with my smaller tractors here. The real work horses are my Farmall Super C's, and they burn roughly a gallon per hour.

/ Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor #7  
Seems like it would be ideal for your application. I do like how those gassers fire up all winter. Only thing I would say is to buy one in decent shape. Around here there seem to be plenty of older gas rigs that size for sale. I just mean that if the one you're looking at seems questionable because of smoking and the t/a, another one should come up soon to take it's place.

Good luck,

/ Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor
Boy how things change. Talked with the auctioneer today, Loader will not sell with tractor, tractor has no TA (was this an option on this tractor? has anyone seen one without TA?) I never thought a tractor would be available without TA. Tractor was supposed to have factory three point, sound like a two point with a three point adapter. Advertised as overhauled 200 hours ago, now its 400. Sounds like one to steer clear of. Too many inconsistencies.

/ Looking at a Farmall 656 rowcrop tractor #9  
The torque amplifier was an option and not bought on many flat land tractors.