1948 farmall cub.. Have spark, fuel, compression.. Will not start

/ 1948 farmall cub.. Have spark, fuel, compression.. Will not start #1  

Reidh48cub

Tractor
1948 farmall cub, 2006 John Deere 4400
I have done everything I know to do, rebuilt carb, new points, condenser, plugs, retimed, new plugs, checked plugs and wires to make sure they are in right firing order...removed inspection plate and made sure all valves are moving properly...any help or suggestions would be great!!!
I did read the other thread about the cub that wouldn't start and have done everything in that thread prior to looking on here and rechecked myself several times!

Thanks,
Reid

/ 1948 farmall cub.. Have spark, fuel, compression.. Will not start #2  
Was the engine apart before this?

I've seen other engines with distributors or camshafts installed wrong, so that things "appeared" right externally.

Bruce

/ 1948 farmall cub.. Have spark, fuel, compression.. Will not start
I am not sure, just purchased tractor 6 months ago, I have not seen tractor run yet, needed radiator and carb when I bought tractor.

Reid

/ 1948 farmall cub.. Have spark, fuel, compression.. Will not start #4  
Try a shot of starting fluid and see if it hits off that. If it does then recheck fuel. If it doesn't then focus on spark. This will narrow your focus down some.

/ 1948 farmall cub.. Have spark, fuel, compression.. Will not start #5  
I help the neighbours get their pumping units started every spring after they've been sitting all winter. The compression is low and they won't start. I've had good luck with taking out the spark plugs and with an oil can squirting about 8 squirts of oil on top of each piston. This raises the compression enough that they will usually start. Lots of white smoke to begin with but after it burns off the engine runs clean.

I have tried the starting fluid already too, anymore ideas? Thanks for the input so far though

/ 1948 farmall cub.. Have spark, fuel, compression.. Will not start #7  
(Spark, fuel, compression, timing) + (won't start) = (one isn't really correct)

Back to basics:

Spark: Check at the each plug electrode while the engine cranks. Strong, weak, or absent? This tests the whole system from coil to the plug electrode.

Fuel: After cranking, are formerly dry plugs damp with fuel?

Compression: Check with gauge. Compare cylinders to each other and to book value.

Timing and firing order: Ignore the book diagrams, do an actual check. Find the top of the compression stroke on each cylinder and make sure the distributor rotor is pointing to that plug's wire terminal.

Bruce

Will try thanks Bruce working on it now

/ 1948 farmall cub.. Have spark, fuel, compression.. Will not start #9  
(Spark, fuel, compression, timing) + (won't start) = (one isn't really correct)

Back to basics:

Spark: Check at the each plug electrode while the engine cranks. Strong, weak, or absent? This tests the whole system from coil to the plug electrode.

Fuel: After cranking, are formerly dry plugs damp with fuel?

Compression: Check with gauge. Compare cylinders to each other and to book value.

Timing and firing order: Ignore the book diagrams, do an actual check. Find the top of the compression stroke on each cylinder and make sure the distributor rotor is pointing to that plug's wire terminal.

Bruce
Pull the valve cover off and bring #1 up to top dead center with both intake and exhaust valves closed. Then check your timing marks. Then bring the rotor of the distributor around to #1. You may have to pull the distributor out to do that. The firing order is 1,3,4,2.
TractorData.com Farmall Cub tractor engine information

/ 1948 farmall cub.. Have spark, fuel, compression.. Will not start #10  
Is spark good?

If yes, and no start on start fluid, next check compression

Post back