cub fuel bowl orientation?

/ cub fuel bowl orientation? #1  

TC 40 Chuck

Tractor
NH TC40A
Guys - I 'inherited' a 1961 cub with the purchase of a new (to me) house. Trying to get it maintained / tuned up.

My QUESTION: which way should the outlet of the fuel sediment bowl point? I'd like to buy a new fuel line from bowl to carb, but want to orient the bowl correctly first (it MAY be correct now - it points toward the rear of the tractor). I'm suspicious because the fuel line on it now has been hacked and mostly replaced w/ rubber hose.

It DOES have the exhaust downward and exiting to the rear - that MIGHT matter from what I've read.

THANKS in advance for any help!

Chuck - now up to 6 tractors if you count the old Murray!

/ cub fuel bowl orientation? #2  
   / cub fuel bowl orientation?
DJ54 - WOW, VERY helpful! I was suspicious because 1) the valve handle was at an inconvenient location to turn and 2) as I said, the hose was spliced into the tube. Maybe the prior owner had a leak at the threaded connection on the tank bottom and just turned 1/4 turn to tighten it up a bit - then realized that the fuel line didn't work any more???!

So, the diagram that you supplied (thanks again) shows two different part numbers for the tube - I'm guessing the exhaust exit determines which one???

THANKS!!!

/ cub fuel bowl orientation? #4  
Could be the difference between the older Cub's like your's, and the newer style Cub's. Depending on what type of fittings used at the connection point, you could make your own out of brake line, or copper tubing. I have a couple of A's, that have two different type's of fittings. One inverted flare (brake line), and the other uses a compression type fitting with a farrel.

/ cub fuel bowl orientation?
So - an update. I removed the fuel bowl from the tank. cleaned it all up (looked pretty good!) and reinstalled with some Teflon tape (didn't get any too far up the threads - bad form, I Know..) .

Scored some 5/16" steel tubing from Advance Auto (it was brake line). Bent up the tube with a 5/16" "spring over" tool to prevent kinking. Used a brass ferrule on the fuel bowl side and the old used (really thin/short) ferrule on the carb side. Looks great and works great. I don't know where I'd ever get a replacement thin/short ferrule like what is on the carb side, so I'm happy that the old used one worked well.

DJ54 - Thanks for the help!!!

/ cub fuel bowl orientation? #6  
Glad you got it fixed..!!