FARMALL M

/ FARMALL M #1  

pintail

Tractor
M FARMALL, WD ALLIS
I HAVE A WOBBLE IN THE FRONT END. HAVE REPLACED WHEEL BEARINGS AND BIG STEERING WORM GEAR AND THE STEERING WORM AND SHAFT SEEM TO BE OKAY. THE BIG WORM GEAR IS THE 19 TEETH WHICH WAS INDEXED WRONG TO BEGIN WITH. HOW IT EVER GOT LIKE THAT IS BEYOND ME. I CAN'T SEEM TO LOCATE OR DETERMINE WHY IT WOBBLES SO BAD, ESPECIALLY IN ROAD GEAR.. IF YOU GET IT TO STOP BY HOLDING A LITTLE PRESSURE TO THE LEFT WHILE STILL STEERING STRAIGHT. ANY IDEAS OUT THERE. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

/ FARMALL M #2  
Narrow or wide? I am thinking it may have something to do with alignment.

/ FARMALL M #3  
Had this problem on my narrow front end H. Noticed that with the same air pressure, one of the tires was slightly bigger and would take more of the load. Played with dropping the pressure on that tire until it took most of the wobble out (but not all of it). Not much help if you have a wide front end.

/ FARMALL M #4  
Unless the bushings and thrust bearing are worn in the upper & lower bolster. Maybe jack the front end up, and turn the front wheels back & forth from that end, and see if you can determine where the slop is.

/ FARMALL M
i put new tires on front end and tire pressure at 40 to 50

/ FARMALL M
i'll try that again and see if i overlooked something. thanks

/ FARMALL M #8  
Our M Farmall did the same thing. I would need to back out of the throttle a tad to get the wobble to stop. You have done the necessary repairs to correct the problem. DJ54 has the best advise that I can think of. I am confident that our tractor had wear on those bushing and bearings.

/ FARMALL M
thanks. that is where i am going to start. drop the shaft out and replace the bushing and maybe go from a 19 tooth gear to a 32. thanks