Had to resort to a little "old school" today...

/ Had to resort to a little "old school" today... #1  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans
Mowing some overgrown pasture here today, and working the little A pretty hard. It was in the low 90's, and it died twice. First time, I found a little gob of snot in a port in the carb. Second time, about 20 minutes later, it was clean as a pin.

As hot as it was, and as hard as it was working, thought I knew what the problem might be, so did a little old school. Ran for another 3 hours, and never missed a beat. I love an easy fix..!! :)

Old School.jpg

/ Had to resort to a little "old school" today... #2  
Simplicity is priceless!:eek:

/ Had to resort to a little "old school" today... #3  
Ingenious.

I've NEVER seen clothes pins used. I saw a stationary power plant with a short section of aluminum finning used. Never understood why but now it makes sense.

Last edited:
   / Had to resort to a little "old school" today... #4  
Yep, definitely "old school". I don't think I've seen that in more than 50 years.

/ Had to resort to a little "old school" today... #5  
Ok I'll bite, is it to keep the fuel from vaporizing? I have seen clothspins on fuel lines before but never knew why. Ed

/ Had to resort to a little "old school" today... #6  
Like Bird I haven't seen that trick in many years. It works but you would think that the heat transfer to a wooden clothes pin would not be that great. It must just soak up just enough heat to keep the fuel from reaching the vapor point. Old school works.

SimS

/ Had to resort to a little "old school" today... #7  
I have heard all kinds of therories about why this works, but none that I found believable, but I know it works.

/ Had to resort to a little "old school" today...
Saw this used a lot on 60's vintage Ford trucks and cars. And, back in the early 70's, a Ford 4000 gasser mowing tractor we had at work would vapor lock on hot days. Our mechanic went and bought a pack of clothespins, and clamped them on the fuel line like this. That was the first time I'd ever actually seen it done, and prove that it works.