storing farmall attachments

/ storing farmall attachments #1  

feleds

Bronze Member
Tractor
1953 Farmall super c
My son and I have been having this conversation about where to keep our farmall attachments. Our barn garage is not large so we are discussing where to keep the attachments we have. My thot is we could keep them under the lean to porch of the barn garage and put a tarp over them My son wants to put down some skids cover them with a tarp and hope for the best. He thinks they will fare the winter. What do you think? Of course the best would be to keep this inside and dry.

/ storing farmall attachments #2  
for me... ((no order to below just as i think of it))
#1 keep stuff out of the mud / grass.
other words rock / gravel, to concrete or like.
--use chunks of 4x4's and/or 6x6 lumber. to use as pallets errr something to place implements on to keep them off of the ground (from mud/grass from rock itself) primarily keeping metal from contact with the ground at same time keep implement from sinking into the ground. actual pallets stink.

#2 nice level flat area.
both tractor and implements need to be level when hooking up. so no hills or dips or like around. or trying to backup on some hill and hoping tractor will not roll in some direction while hooking stuff up to them.

#3 wash stuff off of mud / dirt / grass / weeds etc.. before storage. ALSO grease stuff up example all joints / bearing locations. and like. to help keep water from getting into these areas.

#4 finishing mower decks, rotary cutters. most of these mowers have some place were water could collect on them. set them up with a log or something under them so water will run off of them without need for a tarp or like over them.
--general duty buckets for FELs to backhoes, place them upside down or something so water does not collect within bucket itself.

#5 PHD (post hole diggers), rear blades, buckets, discs, harrows, plows, finishing mowers, rotory cutters, and much more are pretty much PURE metal. exception for some caster wheels / gauge wheels, and a belt here or there. these items will be find outside in the UV rays of the sun. if at most put shields back over the belts.

#6 sprayers, backhoes, (more so tractors themselves), see if you can place them in the shed. lots of rubber / plastic on them... that long term UV rays of sun will cause damage to.

#7 i dis-like tarps. way to easy for them to be torn up. all it takes is one sharp corner and the tarp will rip into pieces in one good wind of a day. also once you get tarps so snugged up and weight down they will not move. they can hold moisture inside them. and can become breeding ground for mice and like under the tarps. leave tarps to something else.... and use say a "lean to" or car port, were there is a ceiling over it all. does not need sides. just having a high roof over it. to block majority of the sun. and more importantly allow air to flow through everything.

==================
#8 lots of things have been kept outside for years upon years and are in still good shape. just keep the stuff cleaned up, keep it grease and take care of it. many tractors stay outside as well. do not get so caught up in trying to protect the stuff. vs making sure you can keep stuff cleaned up and in working order and easier to hook up and use.

Last edited:
   / storing farmall attachments #3  
Unfortunately, I also have limited storage and its only one bay of a multi-bay carport. So I've put my only implement with moving parts - Wollenstein chipper - under the carport. The remainder - bottom plow, LPGS, bucket for FEL, disk harrow, roll over box blade all sit out in the open - each on their own pallet - uncovered. Tarps are somewhat of a PITA - they are always coming loose, beating themselves to death and blowing away. And tarps seem to cause moisture from the ground to condense on the underside and keep any implement wet. I also have a grapple, attached to the tractor, which is in one bay of the carport.

I would suggest - under the lean-to, on pallets and no tarps. If you are looking to reduce rust - spray them with any of the number of rust inhibiting products available.

/ storing farmall attachments #4  
My son and I have been having this conversation about where to keep our farmall attachments. Our barn garage is not large so we are discussing where to keep the attachments we have. My thot is we could keep them under the lean to porch of the barn garage and put a tarp over them My son wants to put down some skids cover them with a tarp and hope for the best. He thinks they will fare the winter. What do you think? Of course the best would be to keep this inside and dry.

The only thing I'd worry about keeping inside would be the hay mower...just out of the weather...NO TARPS..(holds moisture under it)...by the way, all that stuff that was made for the SC was built in the 50's....so its survived 60 or so years (most likely outside)...why do you think you need to keep it covered now? Just joking but have you looked at those implements?..all cast iron and steel..you can't hurt it with a sledge hammer....good luck and enjoy....BobG in VA

/ storing farmall attachments
Wow I appreciate the wisdom of the above replies. I will put it to good use. Thanks to you all.

/ storing farmall attachments
I moved the implements and put the disc and plough on tarps and skids. I need to grease an spray the plough with a rust inhibiter. I may need to replace the crease points as they are rusted they may not work greasing them. Havent moved the tractor until I get the hydraulics working. I did find a guy that will take care of that. Thanks for all your help.