Farmall A steering parts

/ Farmall A steering parts #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
I need to get the tie rods and the center connector for my 1947 Farmall A. Any idea where to start looking?

/ Farmall A steering parts
   / Farmall A steering parts #4  
Is the center steering arm bent..?? If it's a little loose on the steering shaft, I have removed them, and ground a bit off the inside where it's split, so as to snug up on the shaft. If it's bent, or beyond repair, then a good used replacement may be all you find. I do remember seeing new ones several years back in aftermarket parts books, but can't seem to come up with one now.

Here is a link to Bates IH. Products :: 356554R1U Center Steering Arm, Round, A/B They have new & used parts. The link will take you to a picture of a used steering arm they have. It says they have 19 of them in their inventory. Be setting down when you open it up, LOL..

Another option, is to go here to TractorHouse: http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/dismantledsearch.aspx?ETID=3&Manu=INTERNATIONAL&Mdltxt=A&mdlx=exact I've already selected the list of 19 Farmall A's in salvage yards. 5 have pictures, so as to have a look at the tie rods, and see if they are pretty much straight. I don't know that the price will be much different from Bates price, as a lot of yards use Bates' prices, to price their parts.

There is one other option, other than searching for smaller local salvage yards in your area, or ebay. You can go to TractorHouse:http://www.tractorhouse.com/ And post a "Want to buy" ad there. Salvage yards normally contact you within a few hours, to 36 hours. Look on the left side menu, third item down. You'll need to register, and leave some contact info, and enter parts needed. They usually ask for a part number also. Since the Case/IH online parts store seems to have discontinued listing parts for the A, and only the Super A, it's tough to come up with a part number for the tie rods, unless you have a hard copy parts book. You can get the oem part number for the center steering arm from the Bates page, which would be 356554R1U. The center steering arm was different on the Supers, as they had a square hole. And appears the tie rods had automotive type ball stud ends, rather than the adjustable types on the A's.

Hope this helps..!!

Thanks DJ54 I check out the links. The center steering arm is naturally bent, if that is what you mean - it is not damaged, but the cylinder at the end that holds the tie rods is worn. The tie rods fall out of the bottom. The ball on the end of the tie rods that fit in the center connector are very worn also, they have gouges and do not allow full range of motion.

Here is a pic of the steering arm, I put the tie rod that fell out (down) back in but it all needs replacing because of excessive wear.

Attachments

• tierod.jpg
    tierod.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 667
   / Farmall A steering parts #7  
I actually meant bent, as in damaged.

Maybe the tie rod ball seats are worn badly, possibly even missing..?? Mine are worn pretty well on my '47, but not bad enough to drop out. Bates does have new ball seats. Farmall Letter Series :: Farmall A :: Steering :: Tie Rods

You might try those salvage yards if there is no means to build the tie rod balls up then grind down. I may do that to mine someday.

Bad thing about buying used, they may be near as bad as what you have.

/ Farmall A steering parts #8  
They also have a pair of the tie rods in stock. Products :: 57869DA-ASSYU Tie Rod Assy Pretty pricey too. I'd probably do some shopping at the salvage yards first, or do the parts search through TractorHouse. I've had good luck going through that for hard to find parts, and prices can vary widely.

I actually meant bent, as in damaged.

Maybe the tie rod ball seats are worn badly, possibly even missing..?? Mine are worn pretty well on my '47, but not bad enough to drop out. Bates does have new ball seats. Farmall Letter Series :: Farmall A :: Steering :: Tie Rods

You might try those salvage yards if there is no means to build the tie rod balls up then grind down. I may do that to mine someday.

Bad thing about buying used, they may be near as bad as what you have.

The three ball seats are all in good shape, I had enough grease in there that they did not fall out when the tie rod dropped while mowing. I think this is the right tie rod on eby - Farmall Tractor Tie Rod Tube Complete Adjustable A B AV SA B BN 57869D 48289D | eBay

but the steering arm on ebay looks very questionable, especially the underside - Farmall SA Tractor Good IH Main Steering Tie Rod Holder Mount Control Bracket | eBay

Here is a pic from the other side.

Attachments

• farmall A steering.jpg
    farmall A steering.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 836
   / Farmall A steering parts #10  
I posted the pic from Bates this morning, thinking something didn't look right. Should have dawned on me, especially when I said I'd ground a bit out of the center of where it attaches to the steering box. I'm thinking you may want to take a peek at where the other end of the steering arm where it attaches to the steering shaft coming out of the steering box.. Mine is like in the pic below. Split in the back, and a bolt to keep it snug on the shaft. And pretty sure the shaft is notched where the bolt goes through, to keep it from dropping off. It's been 25 years since I worked on the front end of that tractor, so details may be a bit sketchy, without checking..
farmall a steering arm.jpg

The one in the pic from Bates, and the one you posted are for a Super A, and the steering shaft is threaded, and a nut holds the steering on from the bottom. Hate to see you order, and pay for something that won't work on your tractor.