Farmall Super-A lift capacity?

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #1  

upgw

Gold Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota BX2200, 2011 Hustler Super Z 31 Kawi
Anybody know the lift capacity for the rear hitch on a Super-A?

Thanks,
- Patrick

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #2  
Thats a good question. All the farmall books i have not one has that info,but on a good note i did see a farmall spec. book at barns&nobles book store a wile back,it was gone last time i was there. I also don't know if that was an issue back then because they lifted the implements that fit the quick hitch,or center mounts made by IH.since tractors of the time mostly had unique hitches of the manufacture.the best i can say is check the book store

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #4  
IH went from A to super A the super A had hyd.lift double acting cyl. I know of the vacum lift or as some people say manafold lift. but info in books are prety vague about the years for hyd. lift was avalible on the late A before the super A when it was standard

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity?
The one I'm interested in is a 1951, hydraulic unit behind the engine. If I put a 3PH conversion on it and a carry-all with a spear, can I lift 1000lb round bales with it?

Thanks for all the info so far.

- Patrick

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #7  
Try yesterdays antique tractors at www.ytmag.com somone there may know what your up against. I think it may do the job but i don't want to misslead you,ask on the site above alot of info there on old tractors,sorry i couldn't help

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #8  
I'm a member over there on the N forum.. I've posted the question there for comment.

Here are my thoughts. According to tractortips.com.. super A weight is 23xx .. that is just a tad less than a Ford N series tractor. Their lift mayes out and pops the relief arounf 900 psi.. if everything is in tip top rebuilt shape.. maybee plus or minus 50 pounds. The N's front wheels come off the ground around 800-900 pounds...

I am leaning toward the super A not being able to do the 1000# bales. The A is higher than an N.. thus more tippy..

One thing though.. a bale dolley would be easy...

I'll post over any comments from the other forum.

Soundguy

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #9  
I dont think it would be good for the tractor or the safety of the operator to lift 1,000 bales with a Super A. The tractor is just not big and heavy enough, even if the hydraulics will lift the bales, which I doubt it will do. Just my opinion though, and the Super A is one of my favorite tractors.

/ Farmall Super-A lift capacity? #10  
I agree... I think the pump on the super a is also less capacity and pressure than the ford N.. and while I have seen people tweak the relief valve on the N so that it pops a little over 1000#.. I think it is right at the limit for everything else inthe system... rear axles.. hyd pump gaskets.. etc.. All it would take is a bump or something to place a shock load on the system that would cause failure.. The super A.. with it setting higher up than the N.. and the way the tranny/final drives are situated.. I thik it would also ahve problem with the weight.. but even more so.. may be prone to tipping over.. sideways.. if not even back.

That's why I always suggest a bale dolley.. they are decently cheap.. and all your tractor nneds to do is be able to pull the weight... and be able to stop the weight.

Soundguy