Farmall 200 I think I got it...

/ Farmall 200 I think I got it... #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
My fingers would be crossed, except that I need them for typing... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Farmall 200

/ Farmall 200 I think I got it...
and IHC's infamous fast-hitch. Shame IH wouldn't share their copyright on it... fast-hitch

/ Farmall 200 I think I got it... #5  
Pardon my ignorance, but is that the same tractor with a 'wide front on'?? I thought the wide front was an entirely different model.

- P

That's OK. The 200 (like many others) was available with either the standard dual wheel tricycle front or the optional wide front end. My brother-in-law had an old wide front out behind his barn that he let me have. The narrow front steers alot better. The wide front had the spindles broken and then welded back (but not right), so it always pulls hard to the right when you drive it. I have had that tractor all over my parents apple orchard (a nice 10-15%) side hill and it was more stable than my new Cub Cadet with the wide front end. Go figure. By the way, there were other front ends you could get: one was a 36" wide front and the other was a single caster wheel.

/ Farmall 200 I think I got it... #7  
Now that is very interesting. I recently passed up a free narrow front early 50s farmall with the narrow front because I didn't want that front end. The tractor is in decent shape, runnable, missing a rear wheel. Maybe I should give it second look and try to pick up wide front for it. I've always heard to stay away from the narrow front due to instability on slopes, but doesn't sound like you are finding it that unstable.

- P

Keep your eyes peeled. Alot of times you will come across soemone parting out an old tractor. You may find a wide front for it. Narrow front ends are fine as long as you don't get foolish with it. Mine has adjustable rear wheels (you just loosen a couple of bolts on each wheel and they slide in or out). Each rear has a 75lb weight on it. I honestly don't know how heavy the front weights are. I wouldn't put a loader or saddle tanks on a narrow front tractor though.

/ Farmall 200 I think I got it... #9  
I've seen places in years past that sold aftermarket wide fronts for IHC. I don't have any specifics, but I know they are out there or were out there.

Best wishes,
Ron

That's a good point. My brother bought his Super C in the late 70's and he picked up an aftermarket wide front not long afterward. It looks a little funny, but it works fine.