Broke off the Key......

/ Broke off the Key...... #1  

BobG_in_VA

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux
I've got a '74 Farmall 140 with the key start...well, the key broke off in the switch...I have hotwired it from the 12v battery to the coil and jumped it with a screwdriver (pos. to the solinoid on the solinoid)..starts and runs fine that way, but....does anyone know if the switches are still avail for this unit? or how to get the key out of the current switch? thanks BobG in VA

/ Broke off the Key...... #2  
Bob,

You're not the first to break off a key. Check the threads at the bottom of this page for tips that may help.

Steve

/ Broke off the Key...... #3  
Worst case, you can replace it with a generic key switch from the auto parts store. They are pretty inexpensive.

/ Broke off the Key...... #4  
Switch is still available. Late models are $44.25 through Case/IH. Depending on how far in it snapped off, if it's corroded some, hit it with some good penetrate, then dig at it with some decent mechanics picks. Might do better with 2. One top & bottom. Key should be brass, so you may be able to get a bite with a sharp pick.

If like everything else, all keys are the same, and I'm sure much less than a complete switch.

/ Broke off the Key......
   / Broke off the Key...... #7  
Just pull out the broken part and have a new one cut to match.

A great tool that works is to use a coping saw blade (smallest ones) and break it in half and use it to retrieve the key remnant that is in the switch.
The blade is like using many little fish hooks to grab and pull.
Works great!