fixing/replacing brakes on 1950 Super A

/ fixing/replacing brakes on 1950 Super A #1  

Bansil

Silver Member
Tractor
1967 Ford 5000 w/FEL(sold), 1950 Farmall Super A for the wife to drive around (needs fixed) 2024 Kubota B6201 FEL & BH
So we are looking at one

Right works awesome, quick, solid and quiet

Left does nothing except a slight clanking noise and no stopping (both pedals have same travel)

so basically take tires off, hubs and axle housing type thing?

OR?

Thanks

/ fixing/replacing brakes on 1950 Super A #2  
Yes, to give you an idea of what to expect, here is an exploded view of it, from Case/IH online parts store.Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts Follow the link back to Case/IH, and it will show the brake bands. Further back to see every component of your tractor.

If you want to shop for aftermarket parts, you can copy and paste the part number to a search engine. I've had the best luck with Google.

You can also go to Messicks: Messicks | Your home for New Holland, Case IH, Kubota & More... and get the same parts run down, except they post the part prices. And, should be good at any IH dealer in the U.S.

/ fixing/replacing brakes on 1950 Super A
Thank you for links:thumbsup:

Apparently this is common when the axle seals go out and oil leaks onto linings, either way easy fix, when I get parts (if we get tractor, will know this weekend)

/ fixing/replacing brakes on 1950 Super A #4  
An engine hoist, or moveable chain hoist, can be your friend removing that rear differential. There should be a diamond faced, flat boss underneath, on the transmission case to block/crib it up on to hold it, while you remove the diffy. Might be an idea to find you a service manual to help you along. An I&T isn't the best, but it will get you through many repairs like this. Ebay is a good place to look for a used one at a reasonable price, if you don't mind a few smudges.