Farmall H Tranmission issue.

/ Farmall H Tranmission issue. #1  

BridgeBoy

Tractor
none
Talked to a guy today that has a Farmall H that he may sell. Tires and engine are good. He did point out to me that if I understood him correctly, that at times the transmission will not allow you to take it out of gear to return to neutral. He said he has had to remove the top cover to allow shifter to return to neutral position. I have read that 5th gear can be an issue with the H. I know I am asking a lot with very little detailed information.

Any general idea what may be the cause of this problem? Also would you have to split the tractor to repair?

Thanks,

BridgeBoy

/ Farmall H Tranmission issue. #2  
just a general thought, maybe the bushing is bad in the shift tower causing it to bind. (could be a bushing that supports the ball on the shifter)

Removing cover would free this up, I have seen this with older truck 4spds and Isuzu 5spds
ball bushing
pic20.jpg

support bushing
IMG_13911168558361.jpg

I have no idea if the H tractor has these parts

/ Farmall H Tranmission issue. #3  
It could be that the shift lever pins are worn and when you try to pull the lever out of gear that the lever moves but the transmission stays in gear. Dads 1945 Farmall H had this problem and it was possible to get it locked in two gears at once. Before we fitted a new pin and bushes to the lever it was possible to remove the pin and remove the lever to select neutral using a screwdriver.It is an easy fix and the new pin and bushes are available from the likes of Steiner Tractor Parts.