Farmall oil change problem

/ Farmall oil change problem #1  

TheDevilYouLove

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901HST
I have changed the oil in Farmall tractors before and never had a moment's trouble. The Super C I am working on now is giving me a fit. The stupid seal that keeps oil from leaking under the the metal thing that covers the filter will not stay put when I tighten down the metal thing. It moves and then oil leaks fast out of the gap when the engine is running. I've tried both a FRAM and a NAPA filter with the new seal that came with it and had the same issue. What would be be wrong here?

Is it possible to order a larger seal instead of using the crappy ones that come with the filter?

/ Farmall oil change problem #2  
Have you taken a sharp pick and made sure there isn't an old gasket still remaining on it? I've changed many like this before and that seal gets hard as a rock and you don't think there's one there but it may be.

/ Farmall oil change problem
Have you taken a sharp pick and made sure there isn't an old gasket still remaining on it? I've changed many like this before and that seal gets hard as a rock and you don't think there's one there but it may be.

Great idea, I'll scrape the channel out real good with a pick and try again. The channel where the gasket goes does seem to be deeper in the front that in the back so maybe it is the old gasket giving me all this trouble...

/ Farmall oil change problem
Sure enough, the old gasket was way down in there and causing all sorts of trouble. Thanks!!!

/ Farmall oil change problem #8  
yup.. gasket remnants are a common problem.

/ Farmall oil change problem #9  
I always use a ice pick and clean out the groove, people that don't change the base gasket every time, the gasket gets stuck and brittle.