Cub for a lawn tractor?

/ Cub for a lawn tractor? #1  

Groo

Platinum Member
scanning Craigslist for a lawn tractor/ snow handler, and a Farmall Cub with a mower deck and plow is an option.
Do people actually mow their lawns with these? or is this one of those cases where technology has come a long way?

Dad has a king kutter on a 3-point. Is that about how this farmall would mow?

/ Cub for a lawn tractor? #2  
The link below should bring up several photos of Cubs with turf tires and mower decks. The first time a Cub came to my attention, back in the 1960's it was cutting grass on property owned by the town where I went to school. farmall cub lawn mower - Google Search

The next link shows a Cub mowing grass. A variant was called the Cub Lowboy, which being lower made it easier to mow under trees. If you're really interested I suggest you do a web search for a Cub interest group. Farmall Cub Mowing Grass - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Cub for a lawn tractor? #3  
I've been mowing with one 3 areas for about 15 yrs. Not fast but gets the job done. If just mowing with some snow plowing I prefer the loboy. I do have a standard cub with a flail mower that I also use in some spots. For flat lawn I would suggest one with a three blade 5' woods mower. I also have a 4' brushog style blade with doesn't do as well on a finish lawn.

Kirk

Attachments

• 100_4413.JPG
    100_4413.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 300
   / Cub for a lawn tractor? #4  
I was always told a cub isn't as stable, a Bn or super C is more stable.

I talked about buying a cub to mow with and a family member told me they aren't as stable and said to buy a super C. That family member has a BN he mows fence lines with.

/ Cub for a lawn tractor?
Thanks guys,
The ones I am seeing for sale have teh brush hog style belly mower. I think I'll pass.

/ Cub for a lawn tractor? #6  
Cubs are too under powered to be good mowers...doesn't mean they won't mow grass, but.....

SR

/ Cub for a lawn tractor? #7  
IMG_7554.JPG

A buddy of mine just picked this up at an auction today, it didn't have a battery but all the spark plug wires, distributer cap and other electrical components were new, the gear box is stuck in reverse, the shifter is broke off or something but he picked it up for $350.

Front tires need replaced but the rear R1s are brand new.

Woods 59 inch belly deck

/ Cub for a lawn tractor? #8  
That was a good buy, even with it's problems...

SR

/ Cub for a lawn tractor? #9  
We did get it to run that afternoon, sounds healthy, it needs a bit of carb work, and the gear shifter replaced/ hooked back up, deck is solid.

In good running shape there $1500-$2500 around here.

/ Cub for a lawn tractor? #10  
John,
If the deck's in good shape it's probably worth what your friend paid for the whole outfit.