1953 Super "C" Snowcat

/ 1953 Super "C" Snowcat #1  

madscotsman59

Tractor
53 Farmall Super "C"
Well after two years of difficult work i took a super c from the junk man's grip and rescued it and turned 'ol Cinderella from a rusty mess to a new usable machine to suit my crippled body. I Took all of the paint off, primed and painted it and added a wider floor platform so i could have a dry cab while i'm plowing snow here in north eastern Maine at the end of the earth. I Converted it to 12 volt and added a new single wire alternator and engine side panels to guide engine heat back to the cab. After using it the first winter on ice and seeing the rear tires spinning a lot i went out and found a set of ARPS half tracks from a Ford 9n and adapted them to fit the super c. I Then took a 275 gallon oil drum and laid it flat and cut it in half horizontally into two flat sections then cut diagonal bat wing pieces and welded them together with a piece of steel I Beam for a cutting edge and welded everything into a V-snow plow blade. The tractor now has a heated cab, LED Work lights, a stereo system. It also has a three point hitch conversion and new improved hydraulics that run the new and old systems 30% better. It's being featured this month on Classic Tractor Fever TV's Facebook page and is on schedule for a future showing on RFD TV "Max's tractor shed" segment of the TV Show "This week in Agriculture". It is currently shown on Max's web page "Max Armstrong's tractor stuff" Facebook page and may be featured in a Classic tractor fever future segment/show that will be showing special use and customized tractors. After being charged over $700 4 winters ago for snow removal with a big front end loader i came to the conclusion that i needed to try to clear my own snow and maybe have some fun doing it. I'm a disabled Veteran (Grenada) and 58 years old and have a very hard time moving around so i built this tractor so i could easily get up on it and use it in comfort to plow snow and do some landscaping in the summer months. Living on a limited VA Check it took me 2 years to build it to it's current level with just a few projects left to complete, like a set of steel bi-fold doors for the back of the cab instead of a rubber sheet with snaps and i need a couple more small LED lights for behind the tractor and a flashing strobe light for safety in blizzard conditions. My little 23 acre farm is situated right at the end of the Bay of Fundy in Lubec, Maine where i like to refer to as" The End of the Earth". I Hope you like it, you have no idea what it took me to do this project. But being a challenge i made it fun.

23737765_831227990372689_5240879974138132696_o.jpg23826087_831228120372676_1197139880426454193_o.jpg23674700_831228040372684_3774063820813601469_o.jpg

/ 1953 Super "C" Snowcat #2  
Nice work on the ol girl, One thing to be aware of those old steel tracks are ice skates on icy sidehills.
Good luck with the snow removal, enjoy.

/ 1953 Super "C" Snowcat
I'm on flat ground mostly thankfully, but i did get to test them last winter and they work pretty good after i learned how to adjust the bogey wheel tension arms to keep the tracks centered right.

/ 1953 Super "C" Snowcat #4  
That's pretty cool...!!

/ 1953 Super "C" Snowcat
I'll try to make a short video while i'm plowing. Thanks

/ 1953 Super "C" Snowcat #7  
Nice work.

Some cauk's welded onto the track grouser's will put an end to side slipping.

/ 1953 Super "C" Snowcat #8  
Fantastic, amazing project........

/ 1953 Super "C" Snowcat
Did you see how i painted my hay trailer in the background? Wouldn't have painted it any other way.