New to me IH 140

/ New to me IH 140 #1  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans
I've been wanting one of these for 40-some years, finally had the spare change, and for the right price. I have a complete FH located for it, working on the details to get it here. Then to find a single 16" FH plow, and, maybe a set of 2-12's. Something else to pow the garden, and take to the local tractor clubs plowing days.

Needs a little TLC, but worth it.

DSC01991.JPG

/ New to me IH 140 #2  
Congrats! What year is it?? I'm assuming its 12 volt....are the rears loaded///if so, with what? I got mine (a '74 key start) w/FH...I have the 16" single plow..works good..keep us advised...BobG in VA PS: I hope you're gonna look for a set of cultivators...very easy to make other stuff work with them...

/ New to me IH 140
It's a '63 model. Someone did do a hack job (not sheet metal, just crappy job). converting to 12V. I'll be converting back to 6V. Since my starter/generator guy has finally found a good VR that has lasted on all I've bought, for going on 6 yrs. now, that was the only problem I had with 6V systems. Put the proper sized cables on them, or larger, and you'd think it was a 12V system spinning them over.

There were cultivators with it, but will be selling/trading them. I have no use for them. I use my David Bradley 2-wheelers to cultivate with, on 30" OC rows. I've located a plow, and may see about it soon. It even has the coulter with it, which most I've seen for sale don't.

Tires aren't loaded thank goodness, so the rims are in really good condition. I have enough rear wheel weights, I may double them up, if a single set won't pull the plow. Or, may fill with windshield washer fluid. I have read a few threads on the beet juice, that they have started to see some corrosion issues.

/ New to me IH 140 #4  
DJ....don't be to quick to sell off the cultivators...I took off the points and replaced it across with a 2x10 approx. 7ft board to the shanks, and bolted a Cat dozer cutting edge to the lower part of the board, and use it to level the gravel driveway...(I've got a 7 ft HD boxblade, but the 140's "grader" blade does a great final job (ie. you can look right down at it like a row cultivator..)...I guess I had too much time on my hands when I gerry-rigged that up...BobG in VA

/ New to me IH 140 #5  
That's heck of collection you got started DJ. :thumbsup:

/ New to me IH 140 #6  
That 140 looks pretty good...

My 140 is 12V and has a mid mount hydraulic raise/lower sikle mower, it rarely get's any use though...

SR

/ New to me IH 140
That's heck of collection you got started DJ. :thumbsup:

And to think I sold 10 others about 15 years ago. Just kept what was near & dear to me, and now slowly creeping back up. But, this one should be the last of the larger ones. However, I also have around 24 garden tractors. Mostly 2-wheelers. I use 5, David Bradley 2-wheel tractors to cultivate in the garden. Each one has a different set of cultivators on it, for different stages of plant growth, plus one with a disk, set to make hill rows for onions, cukes & such, and another with a planter on it. Sure beats hooking & unhooking implements when getting a planting in, with rain not far away.

/ New to me IH 140
DJ....don't be to quick to sell off the cultivators...I took off the points and replaced it across with a 2x10 approx. 7ft board to the shanks, and bolted a Cat dozer cutting edge to the lower part of the board, and use it to level the gravel driveway...(I've got a 7 ft HD boxblade, but the 140's "grader" blade does a great final job (ie. you can look right down at it like a row cultivator..)...I guess I had too much time on my hands when I gerry-rigged that up...BobG in VA

I've got more than several way to grade the driveway, plus a front mount blade for one of the A's, I'm going to hopefully trade the cultivators towards a complete FH assembly for it. I'd get more use out of tooling w/FH, than something like that. Getting too old to be wrestling those things anyway. I had a set for the BN, and put them on, and off twice, then ended up scrapping them, just before the big "grow organic"
movement came along. My luck....

/ New to me IH 140 #9  
Looks good also i would like to ask you a question about brakes on a ih 444 having trouble reaching you thru tby

/ New to me IH 140
Thanks..!! You can send me a PM, or, post a new thread here. I haven't checked in here for a couple of days, because of auctions, and doing volunteer work, with the horse club.

I did a quick look at the 444 brakes, and look to be the old style disc brakes, w/expanders. Pretty simple to work on, unless the seal is leaking. If the bull pinion shaft bearing housing needs to be removed, a manual will probably be needed to see what the procedure is.